WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself; we're all writers here, nothing to hide!

New here, long time writer.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:25 PM
LostThePlot (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default New here, long time writer.

I made myself a new years resolution that I'd actually start being a bit more proactive with my writing instead of 'eh, I'll get published tomorrow' which I've been doing for the last three years. So I'm here to hopefully find some feedback, talk about writing and characters and think about writing in vaguely more serious terms.

Soooo, let's kick it off with something good. Why do I write?

What feels interesting to me is looking at characters who are doing bad things, or at least things significantly at odds with what most of us would probably be doing. I love sitting down, working with a character and slowly figuring out exactly how they got into this messed up situation, exactly why they thought this was a good idea. There's something really satisfying about writing characters who do bad things but aren't bad people; who in fact (hopefully) the readers want to sympathise with, perhaps even to the point where they ask if the stuff they're doing is really all that bad.

I suppose that's really what I enjoy about writing; asking (both myself and of any potential readers) where the line is drawn in all kinds of places. Is it ok to manipulate other people if it's happened to you? Is it ok if you really beat yourself up for doing it? How about if doing that was the only way out of a bad situation? What if you made that situation? All kinds of questions. Interesting questions.

I also love writing sad things. Sometimes it's out of nowhere, somewhere it's a slow motion train crash that you can do nothing to stop and I love it all. I love crying with my characters and I love helping them through things.

On a more personal level; I once rather glibly told someone that I write because I can fix my characters problems. And that's broadly speaking true. I find it very life affirming to create a world where hard times eventually pay off with good; where I know why that pain is important and what it's leading up to. That makes me happy. I mean, I'm definitely a pretty weird guy so, well, take that for what you will.

Anyway; I write weird books about weird people doing weird stuff. Read it if you like grey morality, deep characters, shocking twists, downer endings and romance arising from bleak situations. You know, normal stuff.

Turns out there was more to say than I expected.

Happy new year!

Old 01-02-2016, 06:25 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

Howdy LostThePlot. You can call me wrc. May I call you Plot? Or Lost. Less keys to hit that way... Pleased to meet you.

I really enjoyed your intro and am looking forward to reading your work. You and I have a lot in common in why we write and I wondered if you were my doppleganger... Or I, yours.

You said:
((There's something really satisfying about writing characters who do bad things but aren't bad people; who in fact (hopefully) the readers want to sympathise with, perhaps even to the point where they ask if the stuff they're doing is really all that bad.))

I write different types of stories. But the hardboiled/noir fiction is what I love the most. I love mixing up good and bad.

((I also love writing sad things. Sometimes it's out of nowhere, somewhere it's a slow motion train crash that you can do nothing to stop and I love it all. I love crying with my characters and I love helping them through things.

((I find it very life affirming to create a world where hard times eventually pay off with good; where I know why that pain is important and what it's leading up to. That makes me happy. I mean, I'm definitely a pretty weird guy so, well, take that for what you will.))

I find your POV very refreshing and anticipate liking your work a lot. I'd suggest you be proud of your weirdness. Building weirdness takes years and years of thinking and makes the work jump out for some readers. Lately I've considered my thinking as quirky, offbeat and weird. But that's what I think it is standing on the hill labeled "safe reading." When I think of it on my own wrc hill it just just seems normal to me. It's organic to my mind.

What's "grey morality"? Sounds interesting...

So, welcome aboard our motley crew. I think you'll find WB worth your efforts.

Have a nice writing day.

wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:52 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by LostThePlot View Post
I made myself a new years resolution that I'd actually start being a bit more proactive with my writing instead of 'eh, I'll get published tomorrow' which I've been doing for the last three years. So I'm here to hopefully find some feedback, talk about writing and characters and think about writing in vaguely more serious terms.

Soooo, let's kick it off with something good. Why do I write?

What feels interesting to me is looking at characters who are doing bad things, or at least things significantly at odds with what most of us would probably be doing. I love sitting down, working with a character and slowly figuring out exactly how they got into this messed up situation, exactly why they thought this was a good idea. There's something really satisfying about writing characters who do bad things but aren't bad people; who in fact (hopefully) the readers want to sympathise with, perhaps even to the point where they ask if the stuff they're doing is really all that bad.

I suppose that's really what I enjoy about writing; asking (both myself and of any potential readers) where the line is drawn in all kinds of places. Is it ok to manipulate other people if it's happened to you? Is it ok if you really beat yourself up for doing it? How about if doing that was the only way out of a bad situation? What if you made that situation? All kinds of questions. Interesting questions.

I also love writing sad things. Sometimes it's out of nowhere, somewhere it's a slow motion train crash that you can do nothing to stop and I love it all. I love crying with my characters and I love helping them through things.

On a more personal level; I once rather glibly told someone that I write because I can fix my characters problems. And that's broadly speaking true. I find it very life affirming to create a world where hard times eventually pay off with good; where I know why that pain is important and what it's leading up to. That makes me happy. I mean, I'm definitely a pretty weird guy so, well, take that for what you will.

Anyway; I write weird books about weird people doing weird stuff. Read it if you like grey morality, deep characters, shocking twists, downer endings and romance arising from bleak situations. You know, normal stuff.

Turns out there was more to say than I expected.

Happy new year!

Blabber-mouth! (Ha ha), welcome.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Jolly (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 38

Welcome. I look forward to having a good cry.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:50 PM
LostThePlot (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by wrc View Post
Howdy LostThePlot. You can call me wrc. May I call you Plot? Or Lost. Less keys to hit that way... Pleased to meet you.

I really enjoyed your intro and am looking forward to reading your work. You and I have a lot in common in why we write and I wondered if you were my doppleganger... Or I, yours.

You said:
((There's something really satisfying about writing characters who do bad things but aren't bad people; who in fact (hopefully) the readers want to sympathise with, perhaps even to the point where they ask if the stuff they're doing is really all that bad.))

I write different types of stories. But the hardboiled/noir fiction is what I love the most. I love mixing up good and bad.

((I also love writing sad things. Sometimes it's out of nowhere, somewhere it's a slow motion train crash that you can do nothing to stop and I love it all. I love crying with my characters and I love helping them through things.

((I find it very life affirming to create a world where hard times eventually pay off with good; where I know why that pain is important and what it's leading up to. That makes me happy. I mean, I'm definitely a pretty weird guy so, well, take that for what you will.))

I find your POV very refreshing and anticipate liking your work a lot. I'd suggest you be proud of your weirdness. Building weirdness takes years and years of thinking and makes the work jump out for some readers. Lately I've considered my thinking as quirky, offbeat and weird. But that's what I think it is standing on the hill labeled "safe reading." When I think of it on my own wrc hill it just just seems normal to me. It's organic to my mind.

What's "grey morality"? Sounds interesting...

So, welcome aboard our motley crew. I think you'll find WB worth your efforts.

Have a nice writing day.

wrc
One of the big reasons I decided to go find other writer was, hopefully, to find ANYONE else who likes weird writing that pushes their buttons. Happy that it's happened so fast.

I definitely try to be proud of writing weird stuff; still trying to figure out how to turn that into a living but that's another topic. It does make it hard shopping stuff around though. 'Hey I've written this book that's kinda about how politics is dreadful and life destroying and also about being a drug addict. Oh and it's funny. It's a comedy. And maybe a romance?' That is not something that has so far achieved much interest. But we soldier on!

Grey morality is just as the name suggests; the opposite of black and white morality. Instead of good and bad there's just people trying to find the best options they have and still probably being troubled by the outcome. Even the 'heroic' option leads to side effects and the reader is left to wonder if things weren't better the way they were before. Although that equally tends to mean that bad things can have a silver lining and good things can come out of otherwise bad situations. It's a good expression. And it applies incredibly well to my work.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:22 AM
Miki (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11
Default Lost the Plot

A very Happy New Year, 2016 is going to be great and you're off to make it so.
Am looking forward to reading your stuff -- especially the weird parts.

I'm from ND where it is unseasonably warm and not conducive to writing, I want to play in my flower gardens. When I mention it to certain folks they don't say but look like they'd like me to crawl back under my rock.

Anyway, I enjoyed your intro and could relate on several levels. Enjoy the year and keep writing.
miki

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions