WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself; we're all writers here, nothing to hide!

Howdy

Old 01-28-2016, 10:52 AM
Brian Lageose (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Howdy

According to the nifty pop-up currently residing on the top of my screen, I've been a member of this site for 851 days without doing a single thing to prove my worth in any way, so I suppose I should finally get around to rectifying that situation.

I'm a self-published author as well as a blogger, and I recently retired after toiling for many decades with a huge telecommunications company (rhymes with Horizon, you get three guesses). That being the case, I can now spend more time writing as well as participating on sites such as this one. My previous books were solitary efforts, in that I did not seek criticism and suggestions before shoving those children out into the world. Now, however, I'd like to change that with my latest efforts. (I usually have multiple projects going at the same time, a clear sign of focus issues; it's just that when I reach an impasse with one project, I immediately pick up another. I can't stand sitting still.)

So, to give some shape to my rambling, I'd like to start submitting scenes and chapters from my work in the anticipation of kind but firm analysis. From what I can see, it appears that the community here at Writer's Beat would willingly poke at my specimens with a stick and then proffer commentary. Of course, I'm also interested in returning the favor, as one should.

Okay, now that the more official business is out of the way, here's a more light-hearted bio of yours truly:

Brian was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma on a cold January day in 1965.

Clearly, the odds were already against him.

But he persevered, slugging through this and that, and he quickly learned at a very young age that some people can achieve greatness with dedication and hard work, some people are destined to awe the world with their ineptness and lack of admirable qualities, and most people are quite happy to simply plod along in the middle, leading pleasant but mundane lives where they occasionally find a stash of misplaced quarters under a sofa cushion and everybody gets to go out for ice cream.

Brian was not impressed with any of these options. He looked up from his paperwork at the Life Goals Development Center, and studied the applicants around him. Everyone else was quickly selecting one of the three avenues, shoving their completed forms at one of the bored administrative people, and then rushing out the door, because “Charlie’s Angels” was on TV in a few minutes and you couldn’t really miss THAT.

In frustration, Brian turned over his application, intent on writing a scathing missive to Whoever Was In Charge that he really didn’t appreciate the skimpy menu of opportunities, and he noticed a fourth career path, hastily scribbled in by someone with vision: “Some people feel compelled to study the world and people around them, and then stay up all night writing down their thoughts on the matter.”

Brian smiled, checked the box, and added his signature with a flourish. And so it began.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 363

Ah -- a kindred soul. If you have been around 800+ days, you know how it works. Critique and you shall be critiqued. Looking forward to both from you.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:18 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

Howdy Brian.

Anyone who says Howdy instead of Hi or Hello, from the get go, is a brother to me.

I enjoyed reading your intro. Excellent language skills and I got a a feeling there was an undercurrent of humor directed at yourself. I'm looking forward to reading your work.

We have a mixed crew here on WB and I feel you'll fit in nicely. Hold your breath and jump in, the water's fine.

Have a nice writing day.

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Brian Lageose (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I shall strive to do my best, Prodigalson, knowing full well that success only comes if you help others succeed. Or something like that. I threw away the fortune cookie and I don't remember exactly what it said...

Old 01-29-2016, 07:49 PM
Brian Lageose (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

wrc,

Holding, breathing and jumping. It does seem that folks around here are not shy about speaking their minds, which is really refreshing. I love getting comments on my blog or reviews on my Amazon page, but vague remarks like "That was SO funny!" or "Kinda boring" don't really flesh-out the feedback experience. I'm ready to sit down with someone, have a beer, and let it get real...

Old 01-29-2016, 09:04 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 942

Well, you have a good first name. The Lagoese however, may be problematic.

I suspend judgement until I see some of your writing... unless you're a Capricorn... then, whatever you do is infallible.

Welcome!
Old 01-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Brian Lageose (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Mr. Patrick,

Yes, that "Lageose" thing has been a bit of a thorn all my life. ("Hello? Can I speak to Mr. Lugosi?" As if I'm related to Bela, rest his twisted soul. It's my burning desire to un-suspend your judgement via a sampler platter of my writing, but right now I can't really do much until I get past that 10-post threshold. Thank you for the opportunity to tick me up from 7 to 8 posts. Stay tuned...

Old 01-31-2016, 12:55 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 363

Oh, don't call him 'Mister' Patrick -- he's much too humble and...meek, yes that's the word he used, meek and he's too shy to tell you but don't call him 'sir', either.

He won't like it.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions