WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

A Halloween birthday (warning; scary)

Old 10-17-2009, 08:15 PM
walksalone05 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default A Halloween birthday (warning; scary)

I was born on Halloween. It never occured to me that other people weren't born on a holiday until I was a little older. My older sister has a birthday that is sometimes on Easter, so I naturally thought everyone's birthday must be on a holiday.

I can recall my 3rd birthday. I was given a small plastic pumpkin and my mother took me and my 2 sisters trick or treating. Before we left, we got to eat a large orange cake. It was the most delicious cake I had ever tasted. I wondered why everyone didn't get a cake on Halloween, so I asked my mother and she told me I got one on Halloween because I was born on that day.

Back in the sixties and seventies, we kids would get a huge pillowcase and go all over trick or treating. That was before it got dangerous and they started putting razorblades and LSD in the candy. But we would go all over, even get adults to drive us to more neighborhoods until our bags were too heavy to carry. When we all got home, we would lay our bags down and show what we got, and trade with each other. Let me tell you those were the days.

Later, as I got older, whenever people found out my birthday was on Halloween, they would run and get a cake for me. Even people who didn't like me would totally enjoy having cake on that day, so they could start celebrating the holiday early. Bullies who picked on me on other days would sing happy birthday with pieces of cake on their faces and mouths.

As I got older, I realized it was better to have a birthday on a holiday, because I have seen so many people mention to everyone that it was their birthday, on some regular day, and the answer is almost always "Oh...happy birthday.....hmmm" and I felt sorry for them that their birthday wasn't on Halloween.

Let me just say that I have always had fun on my birthday.

One sad thing about Halloween is that in Seattle there is a very liberal district just north of downtown over the waterway called Fremont. It's full of very artsy people and they have great festivals and also celebrate the Summer Soltice with a parade. I have seen the craziest things in that parade.

Before the parade starts there are a number of people who ride their bikes in the nude, painting themselves, including thier genitals (told you it was scary)At the end of the parade there are a number of men who are wearing kilts, and they are happy to lift them up and show what they aren't wearing underneath.

There is a bridge going across the waterway called the Aurora bridge. On the Fremont side, there is a large troll under the bridge who appears to be eating a car. For years I went there on Halloween night because they had this special festival called "trolloween". Everyone meets there with costumes on, and they have a big harvest halloween celebration the authentic Irish way. They have carved out turnips with candles in them, banners, and all kinds of freaky people and they have a procession thru Fremont. There are things to see on the way, including naked painted people, witches dancing around huge pots, sword fighting, Morris dancers, fire dancing and fire painting, and all kinds of fun things.

So the sad thing is that they stopped it a few years ago, and I never found out why.

So I hope everyone has a great Halloween I always do.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 154

Nice story.

Since you mentioned "Irish" in it, I was reminded of my friends oldest sister's boyfriend, Jerry, who was also Irish. Jerry was a big sport. While other people in the neighborhood would hand us two nickels or a dime when they opened their doors to us on Halloween, Jerry would always give us two shiny quarters.

We made sure we'd always go up to my friend's apartment first because we knew Jerry would be up there with his sister. For us kids, the half dollar Jerry gave us was a lot better than the dime or the candy bar or two that other's gave.

Little greedy goblins.

Last edited by Cityboy; 10-20-2009 at 11:02 AM..
Old 10-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Whisper (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 87

I loved dressing up in costumes as a kid. We used to have one day a year in school (not Halloween) when we'd do it, but they stopped. We didn't celebrate Halloween. We celebrated the day after as All Souls day, and it was more somber. We'd always go to the cemetery and light candles for deceased family members.

As soon as I was old enough to know about Halloween, I was always jealous of those who celebrated it. Not because of the candy (that was always weird to me...) but because for one night, they got to dress up and pretend to be a ghost, or a princess, or a knight, or a monster, and have so much fun.

Happy early birthday =)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 10-27-2009, 01:29 AM
walksalone05 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

I think what you are referring to is the Fiesta de los Muertas, or the day of the dead, where on the day after Halloween the townspeople would have a procession and go to the graveyard, and sweep up and weed the graves of their ancesters. They do it here in Seattle every year after Halloween, with a huge sand painting that they destroy afterwards and also they make alters to their dead family members. Seattle is a very festive city and they love festivals and when it isn't raining, they celebrate or if it is raining, they celebrate anyway.

Are you from Mexico?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:51 AM
gumboWriters (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 6

You have a nice story to tell, this can be made into a lovely cinematic adaptation, born in Halloween is a never tried subject,

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction