WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Inkster Incorporated

Inkster Incorporated General Writing Discussion - Discuss anything writing related that's not already covered.

What do you prefer: pen and paper or the computer?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:48 PM
sjb121590 (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to sjb121590 Send a message via MSN to sjb121590 Send a message via Yahoo to sjb121590
Default What do you prefer: pen and paper or the computer?

I hope that there isn't a similar thread like this somewhere I didn't look, but I didn't see any and felt it should be asked here.

What do you prefer to write with? A pen and paper or with the computer?

I used to sit at the computer and type my work. But lately, I've discovered that I get a lot more done if I get a notebook and just carry it around with me. When I usually write something, if I can only access it at one place, like the computer, I cannot really write when I want to or take it around. So reverting to pen and paper is a lot easier for me. Plus, I am able to write when I'm at school. So, obviously, I prefer the pen and paper method.

What do you prefer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:28 PM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to kellykat60409 Send a message via MSN to kellykat60409 Send a message via Yahoo to kellykat60409

I mainly use a pen and paper to do most of my writing done. Where i work you are not allowed to bring any electronics in with you so what is the point of my bringing my laptop with me if i can't bring it in with me, and i will not put it in the locker since mine was broke into once before. Most of the times with me ideas and thoughts come to me at times when i can't access my computer so the pen and paper is what i use.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:09 PM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

My alter ego, Og the Caveman, uses a wooden club, stone chisel and slabs of marble.

I use a word processing program exclusively. Pen and paper is SO retrograde.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:41 AM
darthwader (Offline)
Unintentionally Awesome
Loyal Member

Location: You know that country, Australia? Well I'm from the south.
Thanks 0

I always type my actual written work, but I never go to sleep without a notepad nearby, because handwriting is still the best way to hammer out those demented scraps of genius that wake you from your sleep.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:36 AM
starpanda (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 4

Retrograde I have to be then! LOL

I'm sure I have had this discussion recently, or maybe everything is starting to blur... I use a Legal pad and my multi-coloured fountain pen, that cost me 1 about six years ago and still going strong.

The reason I use a fountain pen (and its' not a Brit thing, I don't think) is my handwriting is actually legible using real ink, wierdly enough.

I have tried writing straight into the laptop, but I can't see my mistakes as easily on a screen.

Even when I am editing, I have to print it off first. Not environmentally friendly I know.

A Notepad is attached to me (metaphorically, not literally)...I don't go anywhere without it.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:14 AM
Cuchulain (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Cuchulain

The problem with pen-and-paper is that when you write, you almost always have to convert it onto computer eventually. And that can lead to problems. I myself wrote an around 100 page novella which I never finished because although I ended the story, it was nearly impossible to put onto computer because I had to constantly rewrite and decipher my own handwriting.

However, it does have its advantages. For example, you can take it everywhere with you. I know many writers use laptops, but I have not the money for it. Also, I find it easier to dump ideas down from my pen rather then on the computer. That's just me though.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:43 AM
Europa SwimTeam (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Europa SwimTeam Send a message via Yahoo to Europa SwimTeam

Depends...if I am writing at a story that I know most of the details to, I'm on the computer. But if I have a brainstrom for a new idea or some character that can't be instantly placed into a work in progress, I pull out the goold old pen and paper.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:47 AM
ronoxQ (Offline)
Eye in the Sky
Official Member

Thanks 2

I dislike pen-and-paper. Since I always put in online anyway, every minute I spend writing on paper is a minute I won't be writing anything new later on.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:27 PM
sjb121590 (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to sjb121590 Send a message via MSN to sjb121590 Send a message via Yahoo to sjb121590

Although I do normally do pen-and-paper, I always to type my work in the end. But while I type it, I am able to edit it again (after my first read through and editing on the written paper). I just find it easier that way...

Old 01-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Perfect_Paradox (Offline)
Better than Darth.
Loyal Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Perfect_Paradox

haha yes there was already a two (over two?) page thread about this very subject.

let me see if I can find it for you.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you've got any questions feel free to ask me or any other staff member =]
Old 01-11-2007, 11:15 AM
sjb121590 (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 0

Oops. Had a feeling. Sorry for a duplicate thread...

Old 01-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Perfect_Paradox (Offline)
Better than Darth.
Loyal Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Perfect_Paradox

It's ok, that one died out long ago and many of the members we have today never got to see it.
So, I stopped trying to dig it up because it's really not that big of a deal.

Continue on with the conversation all!

If you've got any questions feel free to ask me or any other staff member =]
Old 01-11-2007, 06:23 PM
DFischer (Offline)
Got Fisch?
Official Member

Thanks 170
Send a message via AIM to DFischer

I like to "learn" off of pen & paper. Writing notes, etc.

Otherwise everything else via keyboard because I type extremely fast. Everything gets written quickly.

Personal site:

Please critique other's work before asking to get critique on your own.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:10 AM
mhayashi (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by starpanda View Post
A Notepad is attached to me (metaphorically, not literally)...I don't go anywhere without it.
I carry some fort of writing stationery as well. My ideas would often jump out of the blue, and when the laptop is unavailable/out of reach I would write them down in my notebook. Sadly I write line to line so I get lost between the pages (and I tend to draw in the notebooks too, making the organisation even more difficult), thus I prefer the computer.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:54 PM
reconsiderate (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by sjb121590 View Post
What do you prefer to write with? A pen and paper or with the computer?
definitely the compooper. makes it sooooooooooo easy to edit.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Fiesty Kel (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0

I used to use pen and paper but I got so sick of typing it up (although, it IS a good opportunity for a first rewrite and edit!) that I got myself a laptop and I find its keyboard beautiful and easy to type on, and now use this.

My poor eyes suffer a bit this way though, more so than handwriting.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:43 PM
reconsiderate (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default ...and what is there to do about it?

Originally Posted by Fiesty Kel View Post
My poor eyes suffer a bit this way though.
That's no joke. After years of computer using, I have become quite nearsighted. And that makes me sad.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Fiesty Kel (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0

I know, I was not kidding, I pick up my reading glasses Wednesday.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:50 PM
reconsiderate (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 0
Icon14

Originally Posted by Fiesty Kel View Post
I know...
lol... i like that pic

Old 01-15-2007, 01:51 PM
novu (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 0

I find I can type faster, so it's easier on the computer.

I do love to write on pen and paper though, there's something romantic about that.

novu
Old 01-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Kemine (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Kemine Send a message via MSN to Kemine

I personally can't stand pen cause it won't erase and so I end up with more black smudges than words. I prefer using a pencil and a notebook. The worst part is that graphite smudges terribly and shamelessly. And the first few pages fall out. My current notebook is bound with dirty white, braided yarn and tape. Not to mention the first few pages are smudged. Which does considerably make it harder to put into the cpu later. At the same time, I can't stand typing straight to my laptop cause then it's harder to quickly edit, I can't see it all at once, I can't carry it around everywhere. For me, with school, it's a ton easier to just carry a notebook (or two) around to use for writing. Besides, it's easy for a rewrite and edit. You rewrite it while you type it up and notice mistakes you'd made and missed.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:39 PM
aarankine (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Definitely computer. Like many others said, I'll use a notepad if I have to, but I have never actually finished anything on paper. I'm a compulsive re-writer (meaning I can't wait until I get to the end of something before I re-write the beginning four times) and the paper is pretty much illegible after just two of my attacks. If I don't transfer it into an electronic form quickly, I'll forget what it said. :-)
Old 01-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Calash (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Both for me. I use pen and paper for quick notes and drawings. The actually stories are done on the computer. For me it is just easier to get the ideas out on paper...usually followed by me crumpling it up and starting over

Somewhere in my closet I got a box full of ideas and notes from when I was a kid

Old 01-25-2007, 08:15 AM
josiehenley (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 3

Computer for novels and stories, print out, edit with pen, then back on computer. Notepad for ideas and poems.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:24 AM
kyrja (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

I use both. I find that with paper I am able to take it places to work on, instead of always having to sit at my computer. I do like typing on the computer though. It makes it easier to change things without having to add numbers that go to what I want to add.

I do like a notebook for the reason you stated. It's easier to take to classes to work on in between. Sometimes, I'll print out part of what I am working on and take it with me. This way, I have the latest part and I can work on adding to the story without sitting at the computer.
--Fire of Unknown Origin by Blue Oyster Cult
Old 01-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Crystalwizard (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 12

I have to use the computer. I think much too fast to keep up with myself when stuck with pen and paper. I can't read my own writing either, not when I'm scribbling as fast as my brain tends to run.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:11 PM
reconsiderate (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Calash View Post
Somewhere in my closet I got a box full of ideas and notes from when I was a kid
h-e-double-hockey-sticks yeah! works from youth = brilliance.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:12 PM
reconsiderate (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Kemine View Post
The worst part is that graphite smudges terribly
you ever gotten one of them erasers that feels all slick to the touch, and basically just smears the graphite around instead of erasing it?

Old 01-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Kemine (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Kemine Send a message via MSN to Kemine

Originally Posted by reconsiderate View Post
you ever gotten one of them erasers that feels all slick to the touch, and basically just smears the graphite around instead of erasing it?
I think I did, when I was younger and never knew better. Just made a mess of everything. Now my problem is wearing the eraser down and not having extra ones. I use mechanical and so I can replace the eraser tops, but I have to remember to buy them. Right now I have to carry around an art eraser along with the pencil because my pencil has no usable eraser to speak of; not to mention the art eraser is the only eraser I currently own.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Fanci (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 0

I used oen and paper for years then my sister gave me her lap top and I loved it...then my husband spilled coffee on it..Back to oen adn paper. Now we have a nice desk top and I do alot on it storin git on my thumb drive, but I always keep lots of notebooks handy. I try to write with pen and paper some so my hand writing doesn't go to crap and because sometimes it just flows better. I also always keep my digitral voice recorder on me so if I have an idea while I'm driving I can get it down. Though I would kill for a lap top mopunted next to the steering wheel like when I was a cop!!!

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Inkster Incorporated