WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Windows more secure than MAC OS X

Old 03-23-2007, 08:26 AM
gary_wagner

Default Windows more secure than MAC OS X

Do those Apple MAC commercials annoy the daylights out of anyone else, or is it just me? Will they pull them now that its shown that Macs are more vulnerable than PC's or will they leave them with their false claims?
------------------------------
March 21, 2007
Surprise, Microsoft Listed as Most Secure OS

By Andy Patrizio

UPDATED: Microsoft is frequently dinged for having insecure products, with security holes and vulnerabilities. But Symantec (Quote), no friend of Microsoft, said in its latest research report that when it comes to widely-used operating systems, Microsoft is doing better overall than its leading commercial competitors.

The information was a part of Symantec's 11th Internet Security Threat Report. The report, released this week, covered a huge range of security and vulnerability issues over the last six months of 2006, including operating systems.

The report found that Microsoft (Quote) Windows had the fewest number of patches and the shortest average patch development time of the five operating systems it monitored in the last six months of 2006.

During this period, 39 vulnerabilities, 12 of which were ranked high priority or severe, were found in Microsoft Windows and the company took an average of 21 days to fix them. It's an increase of the 22 vulnerabilities and 13-day turnaround time for the first half of 2006 but still bested the competition handily.

Red Hat Linux was the next-best performer, requiring an average of 58 days to address a total of 208 vulnerabilities. However, this was a significant increase in both problems and fix time over the first half of 2006, when there were 42 vulnerabilities in Red Hat and the average turnaround was 13 days.

Then there's Mac OS X. Despite the latest TV ads ridiculing the security in Vista with a Matrix-like Agent playing the UAC in Vista, Apple (Quote) has nothing to brag about. Symantec found 43 vulnerabilities in Mac OS X and a 66 day turnaround on fixes.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:49 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

I don't believe Microsoft's operating system is more secure than any other. I've used every version from Windows 95 to Windows 2000 and they were all nightmares of security problems. Hackers even nicknamed NT "nice try" after they weasled their way into that version.

I'm not a big MAC fan because there is so much less web-oriented software than Windows, but I would bet MAC and Linux are more secure than any version of Windows. Hackers are drawn to Windows because they hate Bill Gates for turning software into a for-profit industry.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:16 AM
gary_wagner

Hackers are drawn to Windows because they hate Bill Gates for turning software into a for-profit industry.
You really think so? I think hackers are drawn to Windows because it presents an opportunity for their creation to affect over 90% of the computers in the world. Why go for that minute 5% that are Macs or the other 5% that are something else. Go for the most bang for the buck. A hacker attacking a Mac is a monumental waste of their destructive time.

Do you actually think that software would be something that we would get for free somewhere if it wasn't for Bill Gates? I think the companies, like IBM and HP, that have been selling software (for profit) since before he was born might disagree with you.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:33 AM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to kellykat60409 Send a message via MSN to kellykat60409 Send a message via Yahoo to kellykat60409

Originally Posted by starrwriter View Post
I don't believe Microsoft's operating system is more secure than any other. I've used every version from Windows 95 to Windows 2000 and they were all nightmares of security problems. Hackers even nicknamed NT "nice try" after they weasled their way into that version.

I'm not a big MAC fan because there is so much less web-oriented software than Windows, but I would bet MAC and Linux are more secure than any version of Windows. Hackers are drawn to Windows because they hate Bill Gates for turning software into a for-profit industry.
also Hackers are more prone to windows becuase around 90% of computers users use windows so hackers will have acess to more computers than mac or linux.

i will agree with you about ms. As of right now i use windows but when I start building my computer i am going to have linux red hat on it.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:45 AM
gary_wagner

I'm rooting for Linux. I hope it builds in popularity and becomes a real alternative.

Apple had its chance, over and over again and it has blown it every time. They had over 80% of the personal computer market in the mid 80's and stubborness and greed took them down. They've had chances to come back over the years, but they are still driven by greed - not their consumers. If it wasn't for the iPod, Apple would be bankrupt today.

I was a big Apple fan for a while - I wanted them to succeed, not IBM. I turned on them when they turned on their owners and forced people to buy inferior proprietary products at inflated prices - or buy nothing at all. I chose nothing from that point on.

I write software for a living - have for 30 years. Having an operating system that works and is compatible is a requirement, not an option with me. Linux might be getting close, but close won't cut it.

I like to take the opportunity to knock the wind out of some of the Apple worshipper's sails once in a while. They aren't consumers - they are a cult.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:22 PM
ronoxQ (Offline)
Eye in the Sky
Official Member

Thanks 2

I just used an apple computer for the first time (well, OSX for the first time) today, and was blown away. Damn, that thing's sexy.

That said, I'm an Ubuntu person myself. I love the concept of free, open software, and I've found that Ubuntu's generally been faster and more reliable than Windows was when I still used XP.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:26 PM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by gary_wagner View Post
Do you actually think that software would be something that we would get for free somewhere if it wasn't for Bill Gates?
No, but many hackers do.

Originally Posted by gary_wagner View Post
I think the companies, like IBM and HP, that have been selling software (for profit) since before he was born might disagree with you.
In the early days of personal computers a lot of software was free. There is still freeware around today.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:12 AM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to riverstone

I think Macs have become a target because for years they were more secure. They presented a challenge. Thing is, I have more confidence in Apple taking the new stats to heart and correcting the problems than for Microsoft.

Having had Macs for almost 20 years, working with Windows systems and DOS beore that, I would take a Mac over Windows if the 3rd party software were available for what we need to do here.

Kit
If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Riverstones let the water flow around them.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:26 PM
DFischer (Offline)
Got Fisch?
Official Member

Thanks 170
Send a message via AIM to DFischer

This report is completely false because the point means shit.

As soon as one vulnerability is fixed, another two pop up. That's the name of the game, no operating system is secure. Hell, especially if it's Windows. There's the main reason that was already mentioned in this thread, a lot of people use it.

There's no way in the world that Windows is more secure than OS X, simply because of the user base. In all likeliness, there's no respect for Windows, that's why it gets all the shit.

Now your comment on Linux I somewhat agree with, but OS X is practically a very "eye candy" linux atmosphere. There is nothing I can't do on OS X that I can do on linux.

I was building and programming linux kernels for many years, so don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

I constantly switched between Windows and Linux and wasn't satisfied for a variety of reasons, until I bit the bullet and bought an iMac (Which I am now selling to buy a Mac Book Pro and a 30" LCD).

Sometimes fact, isn't truly fact until you look at all the variables associated with the statement. In this sense, this article is blasphemy.

edit: Regarding OS reliability, I don't know if you know; Windows is the worst to rely on. Nine times out of ten, if a program crashes the Operating System crashes. Unlike in Unix (Linux, OS X) only the program crashes.

Personal site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please critique other's work before asking to get critique on your own.

Last edited by DFischer; 03-26-2007 at 12:29 PM..
Old 03-27-2007, 09:31 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0

If only we could get the MMOG's aback onto the Mac where they belong...
Kit
If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:08 PM
DFischer (Offline)
Got Fisch?
Official Member

Thanks 170

Massive Multiplayer Online Games?

Personal site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:29 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0

Yup - that's why we went windows after almost 20 years with the Mac, for the gaming.
Kit

Old 03-28-2007, 11:30 PM
DFischer (Offline)
Got Fisch?
Official Member

Thanks 170

Originally Posted by riverstone View Post
Yup - that's why we went windows after almost 20 years with the Mac, for the gaming.
Kit
Haha really? Didn't know - maybe I did, I vaguely remember a thread about this.

I used to be a hard core gamer, but then I realized I had to be productive to make a living. Good thing I switched to a Mac

Personal site:

Old 03-29-2007, 01:05 AM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0

I don't play much but my guys do, and it's easier to have one system on all the computers in the house at this point. But, we hate windows and microsoft and all that it represents. One day....
Kit

Old 04-02-2007, 01:02 AM
BreezyWriter (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

I've always liked apple but never had a chance to try it. Don't know about the others, acually it is the first time I heard of them. My husband bought windows. We started with 97 never had a problem with it. Since up grading to 2000 then xp I have had nothing but trouble. I gave that computer to my kids they play WOW on it with no problems. My eldest son said I put too much stuff on my computer.

I bought this computer from him, it is supposed to be the equivilant of three to five computers. He said seeing as I put alot of stuff on it I may have the equivant of three. For the last three days I have not been on my computer because of work. Got on it today and its slow. The other two computers are okay, go figure.

I am tired of xp and I am looking forward to a change, only time will tell when and what. Thanks for letting me know there is more out there to choose from.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe