WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

who do you love?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:42 AM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276
Default who do you love?

a recent post in the interlectial threads had me thinking. where do you draw the line - actually or in your fevered imaginings - when it comes to the age of your conquests. and I'm not talking about the 'I musnt' line, imposed by perceptions of social acceptance, I'm talking about your animal responses. your pants responses

by way of example, and to set the tumbleweeds in slow-mo, I'll jot down my own

here in my late 40's I find the subjects of my street admiration are almost always betwixt 35 and 50, with a definite lower limit of about 30. younger than that and they look like empty books. as for (in my case, imagined) actual hanky panky, the age range shifts up a tad. while this seems counter instinctive, it points to the importance of humour and intelligence in sexual attraction. eg - gimme a fit 50 year old with a decent amount of grey and a good brain any day. so, while pretty boys like my avi are great art, they do nothing for me in the pantaloons.

your turn. go on, you know you want to.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 AM
Redlorry

In my nearly 40s I find myself more and more attracted to the older person. Up to age 70ish and often beyond, for instance I find Donald Sutherland very attractive, not to mention the majority of the 'Expendables 2' cast and many more.

I find it difficult to get excited about people who are younger than me, and I think I always have. I won't rule them out as there is always the possibilty of an exception to the rule, however there always seems to be a certain arrogance in younger people which I just can't tolerate.

Funny really as arrogance in an older person is one of the things I find quite attractive, but then it comes off more as confidence in an older person, rather than showing off.

I like the idea of a handsome silver fox, confident (read arrogant), and with worldly experience for conversation and chivalry etc.

Hubby is just about older than me and although not arrogant, I have turned him grey, so he's good.

Last edited by Redlorry; 01-28-2013 at 03:42 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 AM
SeeTheMonkey (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 169

I'm 32 and currently pursuing a 25 year old. I think, in terms of a relationship, that's the lowest age I'm prepared to go - and even then it's only after some egging on by mutual friends and the fact I know she likes older men.

As for one night stands... I have gone a few years younger recently but it's not something I'd make a habit of - mainly because I can't keep up.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 AM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

I can dig it, redlorry!

the confidence that comes with age (which looks like arrogance in the young because it often is) is dead sexy
Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I don't know about "fevered imaginings" -- but I've had this conversation with other men -- and when pressed, most will admit that when they see a physically mature teenage girl, they might have sexual thoughts about her. It depends on the situation. You're just reacting on a very basic level -- it doesn't mean you dwell on it or that you'd act on it.

If I wasn't spoken for, I'm thinking a woman old enough to have established herself, be on her own for a while and know what she wants, more or less -- so maybe 25. My wife and I were both 23 when we got married -- my wife was very mature for her age -- had basically taken care of herself most of her life. So just like most things -- it depends on the person.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 01-28-2013 at 08:55 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

Mmm, for the imagination -- yes please to the expendables 2 cast. No idea how old they are -- but they're old enough and yummy enough In fact, no older, no younger. I've made up mind, I'm keeping them. And of course my lovely hubby (27) same as me -- but i'll love him no matter how old he gets.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Redlorry

I already baggsed Dolph Lundgren, Loz.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

Ha! I'll take Stallone and Li then
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 AM
TheSummerSon (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

On the real front...in my mid 40's. Lowest I've been at this sort of age (37) was with a 21 year old...on her birthday. I know, i know, I disgust even myself. She was just so............

The oldest lady was 52. She was absolutely scrummy. The biggest miss was when I cowardly ran away from what was gonna be the love of me life and she was3 years younger than me. I don't do the "age" thing. I chat with just damned everyone. people fascinate me, and if I feel that, you, know, thang! then I go diving in regardless of their age, well almost.
As for Celebs well jennifer Aniston, if she needs me, can have me....God what a Gent I am.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Ha! I'll take Stallone and Li then
Cool, that leaves Statham free... I'll take him too. *note to self, don't wear heels*
Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 AM
TheSummerSon (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

No, coz 'im only likkul..like 3 foot 2 or something ...mind you I'd like to borrrow his six pack...
Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

I'm currently pursuing Pixie Lott, but that's only because Brittney Spears has really let herself go recently.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 PM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

Originally Posted by TheSummerSon View Post
On the real front...in my mid 40's. Lowest I've been at this sort of age (37) was with a 21 year old...on her birthday. I know, i know, I disgust even myself. She was just so............

The oldest lady was 52. She was absolutely scrummy. The biggest miss was when I cowardly ran away from what was gonna be the love of me life and she was3 years younger than me. I don't do the "age" thing. I chat with just damned everyone. people fascinate me, and if I feel that, you, know, thang! then I go diving in regardless of their age, well almost.
As for Celebs well jennifer Aniston, if she needs me, can have me....God what a Gent I am.
interesting

still, not talking about the age thing - which is conscious and perhaps superfluous to needs - just what turns your head, unconsciously, so to speak. I can dig a very fit and healthy 60 yr old, for egs, but if thinking about it, 'no way'. suppose it's the gap between your own age and your victims ages that interest me. not yours in particular - just general yours I can go up by about 10 years, and down about the same. but I NEVER react to 65 year olds or 25 year olds - even if stunningly beautiful. one is past having anything in common (grandparents!), the other is too young to be interesting.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 AM
Lyndia (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 66
Send a message via Skype™ to Lyndia

Hmmm, I think my range is rather high for my age... but I've never really been attracted to people my age, lol. There's something in an older man that I think most women find attractive.

I'm 18, and even so, I wouldnt want to be involved with anyone younger than me... simply for maturity levels. And I've never had many friends my own age, which is maybe why I matured faster than a lot of teenagers? Who knows. I think, as far as just straight up "animal responses" I've been attracted to people in a range of... 16 to mid 50's. After that even my animal responses are like, "Hmmm... no. You'd break him. And he kind of looks like your grandfath--okay, this just became weird." Lol. Not that I haven't seen older men, even ones who are in their 70's, who arent attractive looking. Its just that at that age, my mind says "Handsome" instead of "Hot" and once that happens, I know the sexual appeal just isnt there.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 AM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

there you go, Lyndia. a really interesting and insightful perspective

I like what you say about handsome and hot. there's world of difference there!

I guess for most of us, our hotometer adjusts with the passage of time. the bonus being thst for a good long spell we can go either up or down (literally and metaphorically - when it comes to blokes), but at either end of the spectrum it's more limited. I recall at your age I only had eyes for older men. once I got to about 25 a slightly younger man didnt seem so terrible. by the time I was 35, a 28 year old wasnt entirely safe, and so on. I like it. there's a whole new demographic to appreciate with each birthday
The Following User Says Thank You to bumhead For This Useful Post:
Lyndia (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 AM
jack lee (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 7

I like someone fit, body in good shape, like to explore more, can live on hard life and not foolish. age maybe around me.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

To be honest age has never bothered me. I find a decent human human being attractive - every kind or cute thing they do is sexy. For a one night stand probably a much older, secure and confident older man. A lifetime partner not even gender is an issue.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Here's something I've seen played out more than once with an older guy and younger woman, say in her early 20's. Just saw it happen with an older friend of mine who got divorced a while back.

I won't go so far as to say the man is a father figure, but at first, there's a kind if Pygmalion thing going on -- he's older, wiser etc. On the other side, the guy is caught up in the fun and spontaneity of being with someone younger. The thing is, most people grow up a lot and change in their 20's -- and when you come into your own, you're not as likely to accept the dynamic that attracted you in the first place -- and the man's not happy about changing his role either. Plus, the fun wears off -- and it's just harder for an older man to keep up.

My friend is a decent guy -- but he liked the fact that this girl was impressed by him and somewhat malleable. But then she more or less grew up and it all changed. And although he gave lip-service to starting a new family, and I think he would have gone along with it to keep her -- I don't think his heart was in it.

Too bad -- it broke his heart -- but he wouldn't consider the potential down-sides. As Woody Allen said, the heart wants what it wants.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

In my case the older boyfriends just had more in common than those of the same age as me. I also liked their steadiness. As it is I found those things in a man two years younger whom I married.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 AM
donnaf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 219

I'm nearly 47 and can't imagine drooling over someone who's only in his 20s--or even in his 30s anymore. I have always liked older men.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Hmm I have fancied men ten years younger than myself. Did feel a bit bad when I met up with a school friend who had, had her son at fifteen and initially thought she had a toyboy with her.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by donnaf View Post
I'm nearly 47 and can't imagine drooling over someone who's only in his 20s--or even in his 30s anymore. I have always liked older men.
I was a lifeguard at a neighborhood pool from age 17-21 and and some of the moms would flirt openly and without mercy -- and they all thought it was pretty cute. Didn't seem to get they were making fools of themselves. I realize now that some of them were probably pretty attractive -- by coincidence we now belong to the same pool and I can see it -- but they seemed ancient at the time and it was all pretty creepy.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
AnyaKimlun (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
I was a lifeguard at a neighborhood pool from age 17-21 and and some of the moms would flirt openly and without mercy -- and they all thought it was pretty cute. Didn't seem to get they were making fools of themselves. I realize now that some of them were probably pretty attractive -- by coincidence we now belong to the same pool and I can see it -- but they seemed ancient at the time and it was all pretty creepy.
I still thing it's creepy, even though I fall into the age range for cougars and cougarmen myself. Really, beyond a certain age (it varies with how well kept an individual is, but there's a definite limit), the idea that the same mode of sexual flirtation that worked at 25 will work for you now is hilariously delusional - when applied to someone significantly younger than yourself. It might work with your fellow grannies/grandads, but it ain't going to fly with someone who is actually living their sexual and physical prime (as opposed to imagining they're still in it).

still, it's fun to look at the young(ish) pretty ones, and this can be done safely and sans creepiness
Old 01-30-2013, 02:27 AM
TheSummerSon (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

The best mate I ever had was a girl. She was older than me by 4 years. I first knew her when I started work so it gives you a rough idea of age. Ok, I was 17. She was remains the best person I have ever known, in every way. Reliable, kind, cool, humane, friendly, talkative. Just every way I can think of. The point is, she way FIT. And I mean, like drool enticingly fit. Flame haired, Slimmish( but not a stick ). She had a smile could melt ice at 100 yards. I kid you not, every male ever worked with her, had to have, you know, (ick!) at least once to her. They all fell over each other trying to get her to notice them. I didn't fancy her one bit....and that's what attracted HER to ME. Yes you read it right. We never did anything except flirt with each other and then only the very basic stuff. We were just great pals. She died at the age of 27. I never found her sexually attractive but i loved her desperately.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:33 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

A mature woman that can hold a conversation on a variety of interesting topics is sexy. Their smile and small flirts are a turn on and in bed, if they have been trained properly, the sex is can be outstanding. They give as good as they get.

The younger woman, the ones that think laissez faire is a French dish or a foreign car, is like trying to listen to a car radio that is set on a station constantly interrupted by static. But if they are beautiful and shapely all is forgiven.

From the age of consent to the age of denial all is fair game.

"I look forward to the day a woman holds no power over me."

Socrates.

Last edited by Gaines; 01-30-2013 at 03:54 AM..
Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by bumhead View Post
still, it's fun to look at the young(ish) pretty ones, and this can be done safely and sans creepiness
Here's another variation on that creepiness -- the cliche -- dirty old men. They may be worse because they really think they're being cute. My wife used to volunteer at local senior day facility -- and some of the old men just lost all sense of what's appropriate -- touching and sexual innuendo etc. She taught preschool with a really nice older lady and when she died, my wife befriended her husband -- who seemed like a kindly old gentleman. Then he started sending her emails that you wouldn't believe, with dirty jokes and pictures etc. It's like they think -- well, everyone thinks I'm harmless -- so I can get away with it. Weird.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
Lyndia (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 05:51 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

...it ain't going to fly with someone who is actually living their sexual and physical prime (as opposed to imagining they're still in it).
It always worked on me. Cougars... happy days...
Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 AM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Here's another variation on that creepiness -- the cliche -- dirty old men. They may be worse because they really think they're being cute. My wife used to volunteer at local senior day facility -- and some of the old men just lost all sense of what's appropriate -- touching and sexual innuendo etc. She taught preschool with a really nice older lady and when she died, my wife befriended her husband -- who seemed like a kindly old gentleman. Then he started sending her emails that you wouldn't believe, with dirty jokes and pictures etc. It's like they think -- well, everyone thinks I'm harmless -- so I can get away with it. Weird.
not much is worse than a lecherous 78 year old
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

not much is worse than a lecherous 78 year old
You clearly didn't have a single father all your friends found hot!!! He is now in his seventies and they still find him such. Some of them still in their twenties.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 AM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
A mature woman that can hold a conversation on a variety of interesting topics is sexy. Their smile and small flirts are a turn on and in bed, if they have been trained properly, the sex is can be outstanding. They give as good as they get.

The younger woman, the ones that think laissez faire is a French dish or a foreign car, is like trying to listen to a car radio that is set on a station constantly interrupted by static. B.
I must say, it is quite liberating to find you no longer care for the 'beautiful youth'. all kinds of pressure instantly evaporated!

like your car radio analogy, meanwhile. so true! I also find the self conciousness and try hardness of youth very unattractive. Not giving a shit about the pointless stuff comes with age. one of gods cute little jokes.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe