WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Internet/Text Slang Quiz: Take 3

Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190
Default Internet/Text Slang Quiz: Take 3

Come on folks, don't be shy about posting your scores.

8/10

Reader's Digest Text-Pert Quiz

The last question in particular I got right because it personifies some of the personalities found online. Gamers in particular probably know what I'm referring to. Or at least people who chat online a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DavidGil; 08-14-2012 at 08:38 AM..
Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

Much to my shame I confess I had a score of only 4/10.

As a writer I love words and really, really detest chat speak. Yes, I still use complete sentences for the occasional text message sent by me.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 PM
SeeTheMonkey (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 169

6/10 Though I only knew two of them, the other four just being lucky guesses.

I also write my text messages out in full, even if it means sending more than one message.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:48 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden

I text in full English too, and chat on messaging sites in full English. I have the nickname of 'freak' now. I can't send a text if there aren't any apostrophes, full stops and capital letters.
I'm 16 years old from just north of London so I should do alright on the quiz, though.
I got, urm, two... and both of them were ones I guessed because I didn't have a clue. On the upside, I did a Shakespeare language test the other week, and I got full marks on that one!
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written George V. Higgins
You know you want to -

Last edited by Dela Eden; 08-15-2012 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: I have done the quiz now.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

I have a tendancy to also capitalise when using searches on Google and heck, I don't even know what most emotes mean. I know like... 4 emotes only. The basic ones. So yeah, I'm much the same.

Anyway, the quiz is all in good fun.

And Dela, I think I'd be glad to be called a freak if I had to type 'u goin 2 cme out tonite, m8?' all the time to not be considered one. Grats on the test result too.

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 08-15-2012 at 04:47 AM..
Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

On the upside, when I'm in an argument with somebody, I just talk using slightly more complicated English words, and as they don't understand it, they soon give up.
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
Old 08-15-2012, 04:55 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Great way to win an argument that. The reactions must be priceless.

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 08-15-2012 at 05:03 AM..
Old 08-15-2012, 06:15 AM
CandraH

Spanner in the works.

I got 9/10.

They're pretty simple to figure out when you have multiple choice anwsers. Shrug.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

They are. I think I can guarantee I'd have a score of 4/10, if not lower, if I hadn't had multiple answers to choose from.

and

Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 AM
CandraH

Me too probably. They aint making that test hard enough.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

I had 4/10 even with multiple choice, but I wasn't trying very hard. I really, really detest that kind of mutilation of the written word.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Definitely! They reply telling me not to talk in Shakespearean when I speak in slightly more complicated than I use in everyday conversations but still basic (to me) English. So I respond by actually talking in Shakespearean. At that point, they hit the caps lock button, though I think it must be by accident, and what little use of grammar and spelling they had previously usually goes down the toilet. I normally put it down to them falling asleep on their keyboard, but I point out any mistakes to them, as any good person would. Someone four years below my year (Year 8 when we're Year 11) likes to pick shouting matches with our year. She hates one of my closest friends. She called her a slag and all that the other day. Whether it's true or not, no one does that to my friends and gets away with it. So we had a little argue match. I won, I think. The words 'freak', 'weirdo' and far ruder words came up so frequently she'd ran out of insults, and I was only halfway through correcting all her grammar and spelling mistakes. The great thing is that in teachers' eyes, I've done nothing wrong, no name calling, no threatening or anything, completely opposite to what she did.
You know you want to -

Last edited by Dela Eden; 08-15-2012 at 08:49 AM..
Old 08-15-2012, 09:45 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

Keep it up Dela! Outsmart them and you'll win every time! On all accounts.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:00 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

What Lucky said. And it's nice to know people still treat each other nicely in high school. I feel so old now that I've said that. Ah, who am I kidding? I am an old fart! (Not really, but teenagers these days don't even seem to know what film this is from: 'Yo Adriaaaaan!' That makes me feel old.)

and

Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Yeah, I'm a bit of a one of a kind. People always want me on their side during arguments, but I normally stay in the middle of things unless it's practically a stranger and one of my best friends.
I don't have a clue what film it's from, no, but for a sixteen year old, I still feel old. I don't understand text speak, I love Shakespeare and history, and the thing that irritates me the most is that I never got to live through the sixties. I love the music, fashion, cars and anything hippy. Some of my friends are older too. I have friends in their forties and fifties, and I connect better with my Nan and Granddad better than I do with my younger family members. I love old and new country music and 1960s music. Oh, and I was supposed to be looking for a car earlier as I'm learning to drive when I turn seventeen in two weeks and I kind of got distracted looking at the Morris Minor Traveller 1000s. One of my mates has one. I'm very jealous. I watched the 1960s set cop show Heartbeat, and love Top Gear. I'm not very conventional, as you can probably tell. And my room is decorated like Africa, with over 600 of ethically traded goods.
You know you want to -
Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Originally Posted by Dela Eden View Post
I don't have a clue what film it's from, no,
The ending scene of Rocky. A classic that film. And nothing wrong with not being very conventional.

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 08-15-2012 at 10:37 AM..
Old 08-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

I know, it's brilliant. It makes me unique. I'm a bit like Luna, I guess. Listening to Beach Boys Love their music.
You know you want to -
Old 08-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 635

Wow, I scored 7 . . . would probably have gotten 0 or maybe 1 without multiple choice.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

My thoughts exactly, Writing Time. There's a reason I got the first few right.

and

Old 08-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Lin

Hmmm. I scored 9 out of 10.

Thing is I had never seen any of them before except F2F.

That's how I got a merit scholarship. Tests don't measure knowledge: they measure skill at taking tests.

And all that really is, is being smarter than whoever designed the test. Not difficult. What kind of moron makes a living sitting around designing tests?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 PM
nluoma (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 8

Hmmm. 9 out of 10. I think I spend too much time playing WoW.
gtg, thx all. ttyl!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Front&Centre (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 199

8/10

I try to write in full sentences, but my roommate texts abbreviations, so I have to decode her shit 50% of the time.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:21 PM
ceilidh (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 25

Originally Posted by DavidGil View Post
(Teenagers these days don't even seem to know what film this is from: 'Yo Adriaaaaan!' That makes me feel old.)
I think the same thing sometimes; I was sitting at the local coffee shop a while back and one of the guys who works there came in, struck a pose at the door and called, (in a really bad Spanish accent),"Lucy, I'm home!" I cracked up but most of the people there just stared, had no idea what he was talking about. Sheesh. Bet they wouldn't get "To the moon, Alice." either.
BTW, I got 6 out of 10, mostly because I have a couple friends who insist on texting or emailing me in chatspeak, unless I get really nasty and block their messages. Then I get literate English for a while, until they get lazy again.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 AM
nluoma (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 8

Originally Posted by DavidGil View Post
but teenagers these days don't even seem to know what film this is from: 'Yo Adriaaaaan!' That makes me feel old.
My daughter (15) announced the other day that she was born too late. She loves Gene Kelly and Donald O'Conner. And both my kids think TV and movies since the 80's have gone downhill.

Start em early and brainwash em.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Darling (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 15

8/10

I text in full English, and, in complete honesty, I guessed on most of the questions.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Darling (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 15

Originally Posted by nluoma View Post
My daughter (15) announced the other day that she was born too late. She loves Gene Kelly and Donald O'Conner. And both my kids think TV and movies since the 80's have gone downhill.

Start em early and brainwash em.
You raised them well.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe