WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

oh how I hate editing posts, so share with me then

Old 12-03-2017, 09:12 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 230

like an idea to the nestle,
the goblin brings me home;
closer, inwards towards--
an eternally tasty thanks button.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
💭
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chat bot For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (12-03-2017), Grace Gabriel (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 11:32 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

Patience means having no other ways;
Doors remain budged, and we droop!
Couldn’t a massive army of drummer boys
Come and entertain in the long, long line.

Such long, long times!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
💭
The Following User Says Thank You to chat bot For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 03:12 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

("...keep them coming poetess, the photobucket pics aren't showing through though, but there are other picture hosts that you could try out, tiny pics for example..." mentioned the goblin who hated photobucket now and knew he had many posts to redo precisely for this reason, adding "...I'll be posting soon, meanwhile I hope to see more here...")

repost from elsewhere, chatting with anna

next day and the guilt of having not posted in reply is replaced somewhat by that other guilt of posting here anyway, as the goblin summed up his bright shinny afternoon as "let's go out to the bistro", highlighting his dependence upon online again, then explaining "...yes, over 360 thousand humans in geneva and not one of them interests me as there's ever that social price to pay in both maintaining friendships and breaking them, simply you can't escape them nor one's dailylife neither, just those people are ever there, yet here online it's all so different, simply one is anonymous surrounded by anonymity, and anonymous for all their words otherwise, and for all my words too, meaning each one of us has the freedom of an anonymous troll even, yet within that freedom there's that choice therein of either enticing or alienating those personas around one by a mixture of one's nature, within one's ability that is, and to one's purpose too, where me I saw this need within me and was an early adapter here, and where today I suspect that I'm even more me online than I am me offline...", yet the sunny day outside still looked inviting in its now meaningless way

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-05-2017 at 08:33 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:18 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

repost from elsewhere, the "myer's random rhoughts and general bs" thread

Originally Posted by Myers
I have no illusions about government, corporations etc. or their capacity and willingness to lie or collude in a way that could be considered a conspiracy. Zero faith in any institution means I have no emotional stake in believing any official or widely accepted scenario. I just like to know about things.Conspiracy theorists tend to ignore evidence that supports the more obvious or accepted theories -- regardless of how likely or plausible the explanation -- even if it comes from sources with no dog in the fight or anything to gain. (Because they're probably being secretly paid off or coerced by "them.")The Kennedy assassination and 9/11 -- plausible and possible explanations and science -- those apply to evidence that support a single assassin and a terrorist attack -- including the shooting time frame and the controlled demolition theory.But like I said -- in the mind of the typical conspiracy theorist -- accepting the most likely and plausible scenario would mean they're just one of the sheep. So whatever you need to believe...
"...get that type riffle in your hands, prepare things as they were that day, and then shoot away, no experts needed, just do that for yourself and come back when you've done it, I rest my case and assert no more than they are lying..." suggested the goblin without malice, and wondering where that scornful toad Mike C was when one needed him, adding "...whereas if you yourself want to believe that two planes can topple three buildings in some controlled demolition style without so much as their touching one another, then I'll let you continue to believe too that the temperature that melts steel girders can be reached by jet fuel alone, as for me though, the question is not so much what happened back then, all being yesterday's homework somewhat after the fact at this point , instead the far more pressing question is "if one now knows that they lied back then, and knows that they're lying still, then what else are they lying about too, or worse what aren't they lying about now"...", in fact, the goblin's eyes were on the muddle-east, and whether he could figure that out mostly before it happened, not that he could avert anything though, only that he'd have the satisfaction of having done his homework correctly in spite of that swisscheese of statenews there

xxxx 5943 406250

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-05-2017 at 08:26 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
BEnzo (12-05-2017), Grace Gabriel (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 02:57 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

dear goblin,

what else is there other than photo bucket and the other one that doesn't work? btw, merry christmas!

love,
chatterbox.

💭
Old 12-06-2017, 11:46 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

(at which point the just bowed low to the poetess, saying"...here's a link, they're not what I use myself but I'm sure one of them must be the answer now, and I do so love to see what you choose to underline your poems with...", in fact, the goblin knew that the poetess's poems were an unguessable madness, smiling "...there's something wrong with me, I mean philosophers since time in memorial have sought the truth about reality and stuff, whereas me I just settle for something that takes me out of myself, more poems please...")

https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-...-sites-3486329
Grace Gabriel (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 02:03 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

repost from elsewhere, the goblin commenting on a written work

"...in other words, that fighting among ourselves gives victory to our enemies..." proposed the goblin hoping that line helped though, then adding "...also you might wish to highlight in bold that line you feel most hits the nail on the head in the text, also you might like to read the work out aloud to yourself to gauge its sense of flow too...", where the goblin, like most readers he imagined, wasn't academically minded really, confiding "...no, for me those readers are more like a pack of wolves there, in that the writer needs those wolves to show him in which direction his prey hides while not getting too close to those wolves though lest they gobble him up in all those met expectations...", meanwhile the dull gray day outside just threw the goblin's mind back to his online thoughts once more, adding "...well now, if you were about four years old when kennedy was shot, that makes you about the same age as the old man I accompany...", in fact, the goblin wondered what it must like to be someone old, solid that is, as if fixed hard to his reality and all those met expectations again, smiling "...just his fault for being real isn't it, but not me though, no I'm going to be as young as the day I was born forever...", as the goblin thanked the author for his passing time again

xxxx 5046 406579

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-06-2017 at 02:33 PM..
Old 12-06-2017, 03:27 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

repost from elsewhere, the "I used to hate writing" thread

"...well, we'll cure you of that wish to write if we can..." promised the goblin not sure how it could be done though, smiling "...though instead, wouldn't you like to reach a point where this all becomes habitual to you, like that coffee there, or your next cigarette perhaps, I mean if you actually need some motive to write, then all you're saying by that is that it's not in your nature to begin with...", not that the goblin smoked though, nor that his writing ever paid those bills neither, any more than it made him famous for that matter, sighing "...no, writing for me is in effect just me talking to myself, where talking to oneself, as you probably know already, is the first sign of madness agreed, but then again the alternative is to be stuck steadfast to a sanity one knows only too well and quite probably is bored of too, being the second sign of madness as in not going along with the fist sign then, which is why most writertypes in order to avoid any accusation of "they're talking to themselves" conjure up those fictitious characters to talk to instead...", "...that would be me I guess goblin..." intervened the slot at this this point, "...precisely slot, I mean we wouldn't want any of those readers there to actually think either of us as actually mad now would we...", "...just a bit schizophrenic perhaps goblin, though that's ok if we're both individually sane by it only sharing the old man's brain as it were, btw can I swallow this post down yet, I mean it's awfully long even without spacebars...", to which the slot just swallowed the post down anyway

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-11-2017 at 02:32 AM..
Grace Gabriel (12-07-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 02:44 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

repost from elsewhere, the "who would you invite to dinner" thread

Originally Posted by Connie View Post
On another forum, another woman posted the question above. You can invite any three people in history to share your Christmas dinner. Interesting question. My choice would be: Winston Churchill (my favorite author}George Marshall Donald Trump.

"...mom, step dad, and grandma..." sighed the goblin in the late hour that it was then, suspecting too that the conversation would be little more than mere catch up mixed in with small talk mostly, then adding "...naah, one would have only looked stupid saying thank you for being there while they were there, so it's when they're gone that you're just hoping that they know now that they're just missed still...", the snow would fall shortly, and between those twitching lights and droning sounds the spell of chrstmas would be upon us once more, but for one small goblin it only meant lighting up a another candle and just gazing into its comforting flame, whereupon the goblin with a faint smile of recollection confided "...and how silent are one's thoughts in those strained moments as one looks upon that flame there, the flames is just a way to make time stand more still I guess, yet eventually one has to move away, or watch it burn out even, and within that blink there their candle lit dinner has ended, where one is so hoping they have feasted well on those sentiment therein...", "...you should live your life from day to day goblin, not from candle to candle now..." remarked a soft voice from somewhere beyond his comprehension now

xxxx 5948 406981

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-11-2017 at 02:34 AM..
Grace Gabriel (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 03:14 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

repost form elsewhere,

fleamailman, what is your particular attraction to goblins???? Usually I catch on to things very quickly. But for some reason it takes me a while to understand what you are saying. Indeed, I did not realize you had something specific to say until Brian noted that you had a worthy point. I suppose it's because when I am reading something about me, I want to know, right off the bat: is it thumbs up or thumbs down and I am too impatient for a leisurely stroll down flowery verbiage avenue. You have a semi stream of consciousness writing style, which does a remarkable job of simulating the artifice and arrogance of Mrs. Dalloway and company, but when I read critiques of my own stuff, I am too impatient to delve into the ornate parenthetical phrases and embellishments. (Shit, I just realized I have the same damn tendency to go on and on, and be disgustingly verboise, as if I thought I were Henry James eating tea and crumpets with the super rich A-holes of the Edwardian World)
"....well xxxxx, in answer to your question, have you ever tried to converse in third person anonymously, and used the reality of "said the person who is writing this" each time..." replied the goblin remembering that nothing seemed to upset the reader more than that whole blanc of it all, simply that blanc had to be filled with something, anything really, the part to be played as it were, adding "...however, if one simple changes that blanc for something more appropriate like "said the wretched old attorney" as in your case I imagine, and "said the goblin" as in mine then they readily accept it, even if evidently it's no less anonymous than it was to begin with, smiling "...you see, the world of "third" is that of fiction, so either you play by its rules or else you lose their reading you by fighting their psychology, take it from me that you humans are just odd like that, mostly you want something without knowing why, nor noting the way you're wanting it neither...", while outside in the cold morning darkness the goblin's day was fast moving into place, yet inside his apartment the goblin was still in another timezone, then confiding to the wretched old attorney "...like anything else xxxxx, the lack of practice shows up when someone suddenly switches from "first" into "third", where mostly it's the imbalance between the weight of the dialogue and its surrounding narration, though it can just be that lack of fluidity of pen too, or just not believing it while writing it, ah yes one has to be to convince, for after that "being it" the rest comes naturally I guess...", whereupon the goblin's timezone then surrendered to the clock's command, as yet another mundane day awaited its bidding from him

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-08-2017 at 03:20 AM..
Grace Gabriel (12-08-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 05:51 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

repost from elsewhere, the troll's forum, the "trump’s speech re: jerusalem" thread

"...after I learned recently about the deliberate unprovoked attack by isreal on the uss liberty during the six day war, the deaths of those american servicemen by it, followed by the US internal coverup afterwards, I felt it was like "all debts paid, I'm out", so right now I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if donald trump actually announces that he's moving the american capital to jerusalem too, for that too would just be another news catch up to the present day reality, where "the bay of tonkin" is played up, and where "the attack on the uss libery" is played down, isn't it enough to know they're lying, perhaps not then, but from here on in it's all you'll ever get from that state media there, they're trying to provoke another war because the syrian war is lost and the last thing the actually want is peace now..."

xxxx 5950 407299

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-09-2017 at 07:17 AM..
Grace Gabriel (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 08:09 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,069

And Grace wandered through, pausing to look in the fridge for anything portable and instantly gratifying - a creamy yoghurt or prettily packaged chocolate mousse perhaps. Maybe a golden thatch of grated cheese looking tempting under a tight membrane of cellophane... she could pair it up with a handful of sweet pickled onions or a fistful of crackers. Perhaps some pastrami was hidden in those perspex drawers or some smooth liver pate to spread on a ripped bracelet of fresh baguette. Had Flea bought chocolate coins for the Christmas tree and slung them in the egg compartment of the fridge door? Was there a cooked chicken lurking beneath that tinfoil mound? Could Grace snap off a drumstick and hunker down on the hearth rug to gnaw appreciatively like a lion feeding on the Serengeti? Grace just wanted something to temporarily fill the void so she rifled Flea's fridge for an eclectic mix of sweet and sour before dropping cross-legged next to Anna with a lapful of goodies. Nudging her awake and ignoring the look of indignation, Grace handed her sibling a chicken drumstick and just said "Look at the pretty man with the hoop."

https://youtu.be/TYv97c-US-A
fleamailman (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 03:13 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

("...I needed that..." smiled the goblin thanking Grace, reminded ever so much of that line "make it look easy then", whether it was the way she wrote or how that man hooped in that stream there, knowing too that it was anything but though, still smiling "...we're so few amongst the many out of the millions out there even, anyone can write just that they don't whereas any livewriter can stop just that they can't...", the night owned the goblin at this point, his day had been made though)

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-10-2017 at 01:06 PM..
Grace Gabriel (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 12:42 PM
anna (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 41

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anna For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (12-10-2017), Grace Gabriel (12-10-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 01:01 AM
anna (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 41

‘here’s the thing guys’ said anna - ‘domestic abuse isn’t excusable, it doesn’t make for poetic writing neither, it takes many forms and it’s easier to imagine that somehow - you asked for it - than actually challenge the status quo and speak out candidly, no, really I didn’t.’ Writing this is empowering because it will allow anna to muster up that spirit of Christmas, to make believe in a brighter tomorrow with a handful of young folk dependent on that resolve. That has become our family tradition if you will. We might teeter on the brink of destitution but not together in our hearts. Gracie and Flea’s posts gave anna a warm fuzzy feeling because it’s the beautiful art of communication and that’s all that matters really. Thank you both.
fleamailman (12-11-2017), Grace Gabriel (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 06:00 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,069

And Grace was hurled in the door by the blizzard - to land like a sack of spuds at Anna's feet . The flurry of snowflakes still spiralling around her merely complimented Grace's usual aura of whirlwind freneticism. Grinning apologetically, Grace began to divest herself of padded layers -the relentess sound of rustling and unzipping more strongly associated with camping than clothing. Anna watched quizzically - reminded of a Russian doll as Grace shed endless layers of protective casing before arriving at the comparatively child-like proprtions of her usual frame. Grace grabbed the corner of a shawl and reeled it in - a voluminous, gossamer affair that the Goblin hand spun out of soft words - round as raindrops - suspended on a silken thread of endless sentences. She wrapped it around Anna's shoulders to compensate for the icy blast that had followed her through the door as surely as the train of a wedding dress. Grace dropped down next to her - executing an arthritic plie that extended until her knees cracked in distress and her backside hit the floor. Known for her sensitivity and gift of emotional expression, Grace called upon this - her greatest gift - to convey to Anna how much she cared about her. "Any chicken left then?", she said.

https://youtu.be/h6Ol3eprKiw
fleamailman (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 12:50 PM
anna (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 41

‘Look!’ chortled anna ‘Elvis - see, he ain’t dead Gracie - he’s singing especially for you.’ She finished her drumstick and jumped sprightly to her feet as if the clockwork mechanism within her soul had been mysteriously sprung. The house was filling up now with those cheeky student backing singers and their washing and boyfriends and mates and beers and a ridiculous assortment of kit and expletives and term-fulls of comparative nonsense. And there - cavorting in the middle of the chaos was little man who appeared to be up to her big boy’s tricks. ‘Really must be getting busy now girl, there won’t be much left in flea’s fridge with this lot home and I know the goblin has missed your poetic banter. Keep me posted hun, I look forward to the reads!’ anna promised to return when the dust settled whilst twirling Gracie up in that delicate shawl, eyes dancing somewhat and with a flick of her wrist the mischievous prankster spun her sister in a delicate arc toward the arms of that swarthy crooner whilst wriggling herself off stage accompanied by her riotous motley crew who it would appear, out of the corner of her eye, to be lobbing the foiled chicken like a rugby ball through the crisp evening rush hour and hitting it over the privet into the neighboring borders with a paddle.

fleamailman (12-11-2017), Grace Gabriel (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 01:08 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

("...I'm enjoying these reads here, you two are so talented..." mentioned the goblin suspecting that most men lacked that fluidity of pen that women seemed to have, before adding "...anything to take me out of myself please, you lead, I'll follow without question...")

repost from elsewhere, goblin doing a welcome

"...welcome to writersbeat, where I suppose the real question is whether one sees those readers at the other end of one's posts here for those other readers one imagines might yet read one's books eventually, but alas those type authors were many, and what should one think of an author who doesn't see his readers around him here..." smiled the goblin not one to ignore what he had for what he might yet have, explaining "...yes it's a blindness that costs real caliber writers dearly since more folks read "short interactive content" than most anything else, where what, I do ask myself, are these posts if not just short interactive content then, just that it's a pity that what readers want to read and what writers want to write never seems to find their happy medium today, thus on writer's forums writers go mostly unread while readers hunger for short reads...", whereupon the goblin simply hoped that xxxxx would just find his time here as a springboard to his growing readership, before smiling to the words "...posts are not books I know, but they do have the same readers behind them, so need I say more than that then, or have I said too much already, either way there must be many millions of readers across forumland today all waiting for the writers to notice them..."

xxxx 5957 408010

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-11-2017 at 02:36 PM..
Grace Gabriel (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 02:29 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

repost from elsewhere

"...to post is win..." smiled the goblin, adding "...thus to continue on in spite of those knocks is to triumph without fighting, so with me it's not "what I write" that matters, well not so much as "if I still write" that matters dearly, where everything I have written could just be good, bad, or whatever even, what of it though, for tomorrow those same readers and new ones too will all be here hungry again though they'll probably have forgotten what I wrote even yesterday, but instead they'll hit the "new posts" button to note "who's written what in where" with all those known and unknown personas on offer, where your persona btw is not just your username now, from there though their choice of who's post they'll pick depends largely upon their tastes and upon your track record...", in fact, the goblin understood this process well and had recounted it often enough, only that most personas didn't care about those readers already reading them for imagined bookreaders elsewhere, "the wood for the tree" as it were, the goblin just smiled "...I can't offer you that book readership, come to think of it during my day I don't see many folks reading books like that, but if you still want a readership now, then this readership here is on offer, just let your posts become your ambassadors, and don't stop till they're reading you for sure, oh and don't stop after that neither..."
Here is an example CB. Fleamailman has created a character. I’m assuming it’s been years. For whatever reason, here it is. I’m not knocking the creating of a persona or character and then employing it to do some work the creator deems necessary. That’s a perfectly worthwhile effort IMO. But the work seems(at least to this reader) to be too easy at this point, a predictable pattern. FMM drifts in and out of this dialogue with too much ease, as if he is putting on a Cardigan and some tennis shoes after some amount of real life only hinted at. Yeah, I understand the game and the philosophy behind it, but if it is easy then the edge of the art form is lost. The sharpness of the blade no longer zings with the new and unpredictable. It no longer feels like the limits of his ability. And yes, some artists are uniquely suited to present their art as though it is the limits of their ability, but those people are rare. You have to be born with that. The rest of us have to always keep this idea in our minds and work for it.
"...those limitations are true to be sure, but there can be no recognition without a certain compromise to the continuity of one's persona..." ventured the goblin agreeing somewhat, then adding "...where dare I confess that online readers are mostly fickle creatures who fall in and out of love with whatever world one presents them, simply they move on and then return anew only to move again, guess I as a reader myself am no different in that respect, but as one of the livewriters here I use every means at my disposal to attract both readers and plots towards me, for the one plays off upon the other, just my plots are better for having the fickle reader there while the reader votes with his feet I guess...", whereupon the goblin apologized for having taken the paragraphs out of the quoted text above, relating "...is it just me then, but I never can understand why some posters wish to turn their posts into a monkey's climbing frame of paragraphs, where I thought the goal was to trick those readers into reading one by making the post look shorter than it was..."

Last edited by fleamailman; Yesterday at 12:03 AM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe