WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

What Are You Reading?

Old 11-27-2017, 04:06 AM
Megan (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Old 12-07-2017, 05:40 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

Currently reading "Body of Secrets" by James Bamford

NSA official let Bamford in a hair and I'm reading the book backwards. Thankfully ran across it at the Library of Alexandria, but I've got to say it's a must purchase, my new dog-eared bible
Old 12-08-2017, 05:17 AM
Leila (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 51

The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin. Really just a re-hash of Rosemary's Baby but quite funny.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:56 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 685

I have been reading the Quinn Colson series of mysteries by Ace Atkins.

Overall pretty good.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:57 PM
DoggedDavid (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 41

I used to love to read, but now everything upsets me too much.

When I read something, I think, "Damn, he's published and I'm not."

However, I do read a lot, but not as much as I did in my youth when I would consume three hundred pages a day on top of reading matter that came my way in school or at work.

Lately, I have been re-reading old classics: Freud's "Leonardo Da Vinci and a Memory of His Childhood," (Yes, I know he is considered old hat and too much of a Dead White Man but his prose is exquisite English, he makes his points with supreme and relentless logic and every page sparkles with erudition and knowledge about a million and one things, such as languages, history and anthropology), Karl Marx's "The Communist Manifesto," and Paul Goodman's "Growing up Absurd."

My biggest impediment, with to regard to reading, is the Freaking New York Times. Sometimes, after reading their invariably verboise and predictable tomes of supposed sagacity, I am spent of intellecutal energy and watch reruns of the Beverly Hillbillies.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:15 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,004

Originally Posted by DoggedDavid View Post
I used to love to read, but now everything upsets me too much.

When I read something, I think, "Damn, he's published and I'm not."

However, I do read a lot, but not as much as I did in my youth when I would consume three hundred pages a day on top of reading matter that came my way in school or at work.

Lately, I have been re-reading old classics: Freud's "Leonardo Da Vinci and a Memory of His Childhood," (Yes, I know he is considered old hat and too much of a Dead White Man but his prose is exquisite English, he makes his points with supreme and relentless logic and every page sparkles with erudition and knowledge about a million and one things, such as languages, history and anthropology), Karl Marx's "The Communist Manifesto," and Paul Goodman's "Growing up Absurd."

My biggest impediment, with to regard to reading, is the Freaking New York Times. Sometimes, after reading their invariably verboise and predictable tomes of supposed sagacity, I am spent of intellecutal energy and watch reruns of the Beverly Hillbillies.

I relentlessly read James Joyceís Ulysses. It can be read as poetry without regard for the story (which isnít much). The language is just so beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-24-2017, 01:08 PM
Luciaphile (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 59

I bought an illustrated set of my namesake book Make Way for Lucia. Rereading the first book, I see it may be hard to get into for a couple of chapters, but if you love English village life, gossip, and sharp satire, you will gobble up the set of six books. The first one is called Queen Lucia, and the favorite one is called Mapp and Lucia - what a war!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Compliments of the Author: Debbie Bumstead
Old 12-25-2017, 01:43 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

Finally got around to American Gods by Neil Gaiman, it's about as hilarious as Douglas Adams, to me at least.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:42 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,004

Originally Posted by Beesauce View Post
Finally got around to American Gods by Neil Gaiman, it's about as hilarious as Douglas Adams, to me at least.

I started it a couple years ago and put it down for some reason. I donít think it was the book, but me. I found it a while ago and finished it. Yeah, itís funny. Darker than Adams, but funny. I like the way he does irony with a straight face.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:12 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

I'm still not sure why I read it -- but I just finshed Robbie Robertson's autobiography. Pretty self-serving, as I expected.

Something that was unintentionally hilarious -- detailed dialog from conversations that happened decades ago -- all written in one ridiculously stilted voice.

Jimi Hendrix: Oh, hello there Robbie! Say, I sure dig the way you play! Well, I have to be going now so I can go over to England and become famous. Have a nice day!
Old 01-01-2018, 09:05 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,004

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
I'm still not sure why I read it -- but I just finshed Robbie Robertson's autobiography. Pretty self-serving, as I expected.

Something that was unintentionally hilarious -- detailed dialog from conversations that happened decades ago -- all written in one ridiculously stilted voice.

Jimi Hendrix: Oh, hello there Robbie! Say, I sure dig the way you play! Well, I have to be going now so I can go over to England and become famous. Have a nice day!

Did Robbie write his own book?

Old 01-01-2018, 09:42 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

It appears that way. No one else is credited anyway.

It ends at The Last Waltz -- so he doesn't get into his feud over royalties etc. with the other guys -- but he sneaks stuff in.

Like when he's going to the Brill Building to meet songwriters when they were backing Ronnie Hawkins.

Robbie says to Ronnie, "Isn't Levon going?"

Ronnie says, "Why no! Levon doesn't care about songwriting!"
Old 01-04-2018, 06:38 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 685

Originally Posted by Lockette
"There are two prices for this card, Brian. Half... and half. One half is cash. The other is a deed. Do you understand?"

Have you read The Dark Tower series he wrote? It's an interesting read, and all 1,295,000 words are worth it. an eight book epic. Best series I've ever read.
Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
Not yet,,,but that sounds like a recommendation.
Having read all of the I'd recommend the first three and the last, with the in between books just filler/gluck.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

I started it a couple years ago and put it down for some reason. I don’t think it was the book, but me. I found it a while ago and finished it. Yeah, it’s funny. Darker than Adams, but funny. I like the way he does irony with a straight face.
@ Brianpatrick Funny as i'm experiencing a moment in which i've read halfway and stopped, but will go back to it.

someone placed another book on my stack with a date, so now i've got to read that one.. heavy non-fic, not sure if i can handle writing and reading non-fic, but the title is: An Indigenous Peoples' History of The United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz

gotta go..andget'on that.

Last edited by Beesauce; 01-05-2018 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: everytime i try to quote brianpatrick, the quote fails
Old 03-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

Ahem...

Started and almost finished A Brave New World.
I'm glad I waited until I was an adult, and I am horrified by the roses and books and can't help but be reminded of football helmets replaying the same phrases for months on end and while they slept --

One person's nightmare is another's playhouse.. makes me not want to write all the sci-fi prompts I have on the back burner. It's a psychotics manual. Great idea, bless our Ford, pops a soma, You don't say!
pralina (04-05-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 12:35 AM
EricRomm (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:19 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,004

I read the 20+ pages of sample from iBooks of Sean Pennís Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff, and havenít decided to pay the $11.99 for the whole book. His writing is mechanically a little obvious (trendy these days), but I suspect he can tell a story eventually. Hmmm... what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2018, 08:22 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,004

Read it again and decided nope... Sean Penn as a sentencer is not worth $12. He makes sentences like a good university writer. Lots of slick style and no guts.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:52 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

I just finished The Cake and the Rain, by Jimmy Webb, the guy who wrote Galveston and Wichita Lineman for Glenn Campbell and several other hits in the late 60's. Pretty funny and interesting guy and a decent writer and story teller -- and he's got a bunch of them that feature Elvis, Sinatra, Harry Nilsson, Joni Mitchel etc. Feels authentic to me, probably because he's so self-depreciating. Overall, pretty entertaining, especially if you're interested in the history of popular music.

Last edited by Myers; 03-29-2018 at 02:32 PM..
Old 03-29-2018, 02:34 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Read it again and decided nope... Sean Penn as a sentencer is not worth $12. He makes sentences like a good university writer. Lots of slick style and no guts.

He needs to write a shitty children's book -- that's what all the celebrities do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (03-29-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 08:33 PM
pralina (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 46

I’m about to start The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima, has any of you read it and can pitch in?
Old 04-18-2018, 08:25 AM
Leila (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 51

Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner. by James Hogg
Old 04-26-2018, 09:42 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

For hells sake, I've got to scrape the confinements of

Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA by Tim Weiner

Damn, and when I finally get a copy, well you guys will probably be rid of me for, if not a while... just a book:

https://www.cia.gov/news-information...-of-ashes.html

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/leg...ner/1102811429
Old 05-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 685

Just finished the latest in Sandford's PREY series - Twisted Prey

Also Kurt Schlichter's "PEOPLE"S REPUBLIC" and "INDIAN COUNTRY".

Ready to read - as time permits - Alinsky's Rules for Radicals

Old 05-10-2018, 04:46 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 271

@mohican, how'd u like it? prey series.. it's really good. just finished it myself. very sturdy for a hard cover. lol. i use hello kitty as a book mark and i never bend the pages. borrowed it from a friend and there's PEN MARKS. so annoying

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
💭
Old 05-25-2018, 12:36 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,004
Default What Are You Reading?

The Lucifer Principle-Howard Bloom.

ďA hen is just an eggs way of making more eggs.Ē 😀😀😀😀

Last edited by brianpatrick; 05-25-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Old 05-28-2018, 05:48 PM
spshane (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 62

Returning to Tradition: the Contemporary Revival of Orthodox Judaism- M. Herbert Danzig.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 685

Originally Posted by chat bot View Post
@mohican, how'd u like it? prey series.. it's really good. just finished it myself. very sturdy for a hard cover. lol. i use hello kitty as a book mark and i never bend the pages. borrowed it from a friend and there's PEN MARKS. so annoying

Another solid book by Sandford. I think I liked the previous installation in the Prey series better.

Sandford and James Lee Burke are two of my favorite contemporary action/fiction/mystery writers, and both know how to write a series without being derivative or trite. I'd add CJ Box to that, too.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library