View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM
opprobrium (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 5

Originally Posted by Webgoji View Post
And that is very true.

Unfortunately, beta readers are like bigfoot to me. Other writers tell me they've seen them and there are a few grainy pictures of them, but I can't find any proof they actually exist.

For The Seraphim Protocol, I had 6 beta readers lined up and got zero feedback. I never even got an "It sucks" back (at least I got 1 of those with my first book). I'm considering joining Critters for my next book, Advent Overkill. If I understand the way it works, it will eventually have to get a critique.

http://www.critters.org/
A beta reader is literally just anyone else who reads your story. The people of this forum could be your beta readers. Try not to go with family or friends, though. Most likely, they won't be as brutally honest as you need.

Just make sure the beta readers know you expect feedback.
Self publish and succeed. Write your next story instead of endlessly marketing your current one. Read Kristine Kathryn Rusch's blog, and Dean Wesley Smith's blog. Learn the business of publishing. Become a professional writer. Don't sign bad contracts. Don't hire an agent. Make enough money to quit your day job. Yes, it sure is possible.