View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

Originally Posted by BluebellCharm View Post
I completely appreciate the helpfulness of forums such as these, however do struggle to know who's advice to apply to my work and who's to disregard? When your a novice like me, how do you do this?
You have to read other people's stories. This is the single most useful thing a learning writer can do, because it has three important effects:-

1) If you like their stories, then that's evidence that they know how to write. You should therefore pay attention to what they say.
2) If you don't like their stories, then that's an opportunity for you to look at their piece and work out why you don't like it. This process of thinking and evaluating is also part of your training as a writer. If you feel confident (and in due course you probably will), then you can actually post why you don't like their piece and give advice about how to fix it.
3) This then shows them that you've read their piece attentively, which massively increases the chance that they will then read yours attentively. At this point, you are building a mutually supportive and helpful relationship with your peer group that could just be the springboard for a writing career.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Non Serviam For This Useful Post:
BluebellCharm (11-07-2015)