Thread: Great Debates
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 08:55 AM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 364

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Several of my friends have gotten a lot of good hard use out of all wheel drive Subaru's. My only issue is that some of them have been needlessly upsized, as the trend to larger almost SUVs continues.

As a ute, I helped my dad build a few guitars,a fiddle, dulcimers and an odd banjo. But I know very little about electric guitars, pickups, other parts. I do know that back in the 70s and 80s there were,and still are places that sell parts to build your own guitar. I may still have Dad's acoustic guitar and dulcimer jigs stored someplace.....Getting appropriate wood could be an issue.
I'm a used car guy. I hate spending money on a depreciating asset. But after doing the research -- with the service and safety record and great resale value, we went with a new Outback -- toward the lower end without as many bells and whistles. It's a great car. It doesn't feel needlessly large. It's spacious, but about right for a family.

Anyone who can make a playable, decent sounding instrument deserves props. I've watched the process -- and it's pretty complex. But of all the stringed instruments, I supposed a solid body electric is the least difficult. The acoustics aren't so tied into the shape and construction.

Yeah -- you can still get kits of varying complexity. I was thinking about buying one for a lap steel guitar -- which is comparatively pretty simple. But I knew I wouldn't have the patience or the time to build it. Like Clint Eastwood said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."