View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 03:31 AM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 377

Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I love the word faith. While many have associated it with religions, it can also be associated in sciences, philosophies, etc.

Many people put faith in the works of a naturalist that failed out of medical school, with his professors saying he has very weak in sciences and maths, but was very strong in theology and philosophy. His successful formal education came from being an ordained minister, after completing seminary college. This minister gets on a boat ride and goes around the world writing down observable traits of various fauna. His books regarding his interpretation of these observation eventually get known as the concept of faith. Hmmm. An ordained minster helping with the concept of evolution. Did he help create a new manmade faith system?

Now the word debates the two types of faith. Some are adamant that there is an unseen deity that created everything. Some are adamant that we are the high form of the evolutionary process. Some like both, and merge the some. No matter which science/philosophy one supports are not supports, they both take faith.
Perhaps degrees of faith/risk/probability/uncertainty?

Suppose there is a probability that my DNA is more similar to your DNA, than your parents DNA is to your DNA, that is, there is a probability that I am more closely related to you than you are to your parents. Would you therefore accept that I am indeed more closely related to you than you are to your parents? Or would you presume you are more closely related to your parents on your knowledge of DNA, meiosis etc, or would you believe you are more closely related to your parents based on "faith", or would you insist on a DNA test?
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw