View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 AM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89
Icon6

First - you don't have to drink alcoholic beverages to learn what they will taste like. Their aroma arouses the senses and the nose accompanies the palatte.

I grew up in a house where alcohol consumption was common - and my father was a mean drunk. So, the smell of alcohol was not unusual to me. I even think there was a time or two when one of the adults let me take a tiny sip.

But, my grandmother took me to a church where drinking alcohol was a sin. So, I never drank until - I entered the Army and got sent to France.

I never liked beer but became fond of wine and cognac. As a young GI, I can tell you a couple of times when I let alcohol get the best of me. What was it like? A numbness. A loss of self-control. I remember wading through a pond in the middle of Bordeaux with some buddies trying to catch goldfish - then having to run like hell when the Gendarmes came after us. The resulting hangover was unforgetable.

But, it didn't stop me from drinking!

We had a poker game in the barracks that started early Friday evening. I remember, beside beer, we had lots of Four Roses with coca cola mixers. Sometime Saturday night, I lay on my bunk, staring up at the ceiling, unable to move and wondering why the world seemed unreal. Again, an epic hangover.

I cannot tell you when I reached the point of not drinking anymore. I did manage to attain a time when drinking in moderation was more important to me. In the last 20 plus years I have probably had less than 20 drinks of alcoholic beverages and that was usually only a glass of wine with dinner.

That probably doesn't answer your question, but I hope it gives you some idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The history of the California missions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life in the military and general ramblings

Last edited by longknife; 04-22-2011 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: can't spell
The Following User Says Thank You to longknife For This Useful Post:
mussokn (04-23-2011)