View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 05:54 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
I would not wish on any child to be used in this way and I think my position in life has always been and is this
if it is not good enough/safe for a child to read then it is not good enough/safe for me.
There's a big difference between what one reads oneself and what one permits ones children to read. I wouldn't encourage a child to read the book but by the same token, its not a childish book; by the time you can read and appreciate the language (I tried and gave up after 2 pages when I was 12 or 13) you're old enough to handle the content.

It's a book. That's all. As far as I'm aware, reading a book never turned an ordinary person into a pedophile, or caused a child lasting harm.

Nabokov is a master of linguistics and couches terrible desires and acts within artful wordplay; he seduces the reader as surely as Humbert seduces Lolita, and you become complicit in his crimes.

The book is about a lot of things and Nabakov uses Humbert's obsession with Lolita to explore cultural differences, the nature of desire, the fallibility of psychology and of course alienation.
Grace Gabriel (02-27-2015)