Thread: Rebecca
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 07:43 PM
writergal (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2
Icon12

So it was a fairly typical childhood for a young girl in those parts. It does sound like you had just a touch of tomboy in you but only a touch. Probably has something to do with having so many brothers.
The church ways interesting. Most children at that age get restless but you enjoyed it. You said your mind could wonder. Did you mean wander? If so, did you enjoy daydreaming? Yes , wander is what I meant . I never really notice I was doing it, wandering that is until my grandfather whom was the minister would give me ďThe look ď.
Right about then I would feel what felt like a bee sting on my arm form my grandmother. I always sat with them during church. Church was the only time I got to see my grandparents because they never visited , they didnít like my daddy . They figured my mama was the biggest fool in Slidell for marrying so low .

So letís skip ahead some. You said you were sent to Chicago. Did you understand why you were sent there? Here I want to make a clear distinction between know and understand.I did not understand at the time why I was sent there only that Mama said it was for my own good.Later I understood it was because what happened.
I would imagine that such a drastic change would have been both traumatic and frightening, especially after what you went through back home. I would think a natural response would be to withdraw into oneself but that is not always the case. Sometimes people will latch onto someone, afraid to be out of their sight. Others might lash out in anger at the smallest incident. For some it can be a mixture. How would you describe your reaction your first few weeks in Chicago? I was very frightened and observant the incident had made me weary of everyone and their motives.

What was the neighborhood like? Was it primarily inner-city poor or more suburban? How long before you made any new friends? Did any of your brothers move with you? How was your initial relationship with your Aunt? The neighborhood was inner-city poor but not dirt poor. I met one girl my first week but she only became my friend after about 8 months. My aunt was a fat stumpy witch and thatís all I want to say about that , for now