View Single Post
Old 06-16-2006, 03:33 PM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3
Writing Resources (Grammar, Punctuation, etc.)

[This thread has been created in order to ease the searching process for proper, helpful resources. If you have a writing resourse that you think is highly benefitable, then please share it here. Resources include everything from books to web pages.]

My personal favorite guide is the invaluable A Writer's Reference by Diana Hacker. You all should own one; if you don't, buy one immediately.

By far the easiest book I've come across, this handbook is great for writers at all levels as well as students. The sections on proper citations have been particularly useful to me.

If you choose to trust the Brits , another book that has received rave reviews is Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss.

To get you in the mood:

A panda walks into a cafe. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.

'Why?' asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

'I'm a panda,' he says, at the door. 'Look it up.'

The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation.

'Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Last edited by Devon; 12-16-2009 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: Relinked the links that didn't work
The Following User Says Thank You to Icarus For This Useful Post:
EricRomm (08-08-2016)