View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 01:24 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 385

Originally Posted by chippedmonk View Post
hi picklebottom,

you're right, i should've read more carefully. and no, my days haven't been too bizarre although i've had some strange dreams the past couple of nights. things are mostly normal, however.

i know very little about physics, just stuff i've picked up from documentaries and my science-y friends.

i apologise but i'm curious to know where you stand on the matter of human agency?

sorry if i seem a bit servile.
All the world's a stage. And the men and women merely players.

I was in a play once, a musical back in my school days, and there was this priest who was also a musician, but still a priest, or an authority at the school. Because he was a musician he wanted more emphasis on the music, massive crashes of symbols, and horns trumpeted, just like in the book of revelations. As a result no one in the audience could follow what was happening on the stage it was drowned out by the music. The actors could not play their parts, their "agency" was limited. They didn't have a voice.

People should have agency, it will be constrained, but it should not be constrained through others, like slavery and greed, and it should be enhanced through living, ergo the expansion of knowledge and experience.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw