Thread: Monroe Bergdorf
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 08:23 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Originally Posted by JohnConstantine View Post
It's so complicated though, way more so than proponents of white privilege ever tend to admit. Everyone has the power to discriminate and does.
You can make it as complicated as you want to -- and you probably will.

I'll go way out on a limb and guess that most people are concerned about how racism affects them in their daily lives.

A few years ago when I was starting my business, I needed all the work I could get -- so I contracted with a printer to work in his design department. Pretty low-end work, but I was happy to do it.

It got busy to the point where I asked the owner if I could bring someone on to help for a few days -- and since I'd already made it clear that I wouldn't be staying, I said it would be good opportunity to check someone out to take my place.

By this time he trusted me and told me hire someone. So I brought in a friend I knew from school who is black.

So the owner pulled me aside and said, this is OK for now, but he was concerned about the guy dealing with customers. Not that HE was prejudiced, mind you. I think he probably really believed he wasn't. Of course, so much for my friend being considered for a job. (And this isn't about being "called" anything.)

Whereas not many people would be careless enough to voice their concerns -- especially from a legal standpoint -- I seriously doubt that this kind of thing doesn't happen with some regularity in varying degrees. I grew up surrounded by people with this kind of mindset and I believe it's alive and well, even if it's mostly bubbling under the surface.

From that standpoint I agree with this one part of Bergdorf's statement. (Although I believe it's learned as well.)

Come see me when you realise that racism isn’t learned, it’s inherited and consciously or unconsciously passed down through privilege.
Did she specifically mention the "state" as an oppressive entity? If so, I missed it.

You can nitpick the definition of "privilege" -- but to me it simply means having an inherent advantage. And for now anyway, I think white people do, for the most part.

Last edited by Myers; 09-13-2017 at 08:36 AM..