WritersBeat.com

WritersBeat.com (http://forums.writersbeat.com/index.php)
-   Writers' Cafe (http://forums.writersbeat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Your Favorite Cover Songs (http://forums.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=61055)

Myers 12-08-2016 05:59 AM

Your Favorite Cover Songs
 
Covers are often pointless and terrible, but there are a few good ones.

What are your favorites?

I'll start with one of the most obvious. It could be the best cover of all time:

The Hendrix version of Dylan's All Along the Watchtower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY

And, yeah, if this goes anywhere, people will likely want to include the pointless and terrible covers too. Why not?

I'll start with Limp Bizkit's hilariously awful cover of The Who's Behind Blue Eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOzc8JGkg0o

Mohican 12-08-2016 07:54 AM

Johnny Cash covering Nine Inch Nails "Hurt" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FywSzjRq0e4

Johnny Cash and Fiona Apple covering Simon and Garfinkles "Bridge Over Troubled Water" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSDcv5M6jls

Disturbed knocking Simon and Garfinkles The Sound of Silence out of the park
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg...=RDu9Dg-g7t2l4

Myers 12-08-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohican (Post 729544)
Johnny Cash covering Nine Inch Nails "Hurt" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FywSzjRq0e4

Johnny Cash and Fiona Apple covering Simon and Garfinkles "Bridge Over Troubled Water" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSDcv5M6jls

Disturbed knocking Simon and Garfinkles The Sound of Silence out of the park
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg...=RDu9Dg-g7t2l4

I like the first two, but that last one is more like a pop fly into short right field. :)

brianpatrick 12-08-2016 01:14 PM

Not quite as good as Hendrix, but still one of the best covers of all time:

https://youtu.be/KCGlwx3L-Xk

brianpatrick 12-08-2016 01:17 PM

It's hard to do a good cover of an already amazing song.

https://youtu.be/WnCHCqYRQFs

brianpatrick 12-08-2016 01:26 PM

Another case of it's hard to do a cover of an already great song, but this one is pretty good.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TzGeqIzk_AQ#

Myers 12-08-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianpatrick (Post 729560)
Not quite as good as Hendrix, but still one of the best covers of all time:

https://youtu.be/KCGlwx3L-Xk

Totally agree. But Elvis kind of owned this song first.

But here's something really enjoyable I stumbled across a while back - a Nick Lowe acoustic performance. It's sounds much more sincere. The Elvis version has a bit of an ironic edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAqAmLSIGU8

Myers 12-08-2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianpatrick (Post 729563)
Another case of it's hard to do a cover of an already great song, but this one is pretty good.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TzGeqIzk_AQ#

That is well performed. But it's more like a tribute band cover than any kind of interpretation.

And I have say, that guy's voice is better than I thought it was. :)

brianpatrick 12-08-2016 01:33 PM

And again:

https://youtu.be/WKFBZguai7o

brianpatrick 12-08-2016 01:36 PM

I have to get off this thread and get back to work. The possibilities are endless.

https://youtu.be/8R-ljnZH4wU

Myers 12-08-2016 01:46 PM

Here's a good one, although it might be an acquired taste for some. :)

Townes Van Zandt, Dead Flowers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VgdtTRZhag

brianpatrick 12-08-2016 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myers (Post 729564)
Totally agree. But Elvis kind of owned this song first.

But here's something really enjoyable I stumbled across a while back - a Nick Lowe acoustic performance. It's sounds much more sincere. The Elvis version has a bit of an ironic edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAqAmLSIGU8



That's the trick... find a brilliant yet underperformed song and do the definitive version.

Myers 12-08-2016 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianpatrick (Post 729567)
I have to get off this thread and get back to work. The possibilities are endless.

I could listen to music on YouTube for hours. Exploring, following connections, watching live performances.

And I love to watch all those old showcase and dance shows from the early sixties, like Shindig! and Hullabaloo.

Look at this funny video of the Animals - the women/trophy heads. WTF??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9kT13WXxG8

Damn good song though. Sometimes I forget how good they were.

brianpatrick 12-08-2016 04:25 PM

This video paints a whole backstory for me:

" hey... hey joey?"

"Whaaa?"

"You know what we should do?"

"What?"

"We should do a cover of that Coldplay song... you know the one. The one where he wants to fix some chick."

"Fix her? What the fuck are you talking about?"

"You know, you know, that one."

"Oh yeah—that one."

"We could get my little brother Vinnie to play drums—plays with his hands—friggin' awesome... but subtle... real subtle."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

https://youtu.be/5n19hMu4yW0?list=PL...EnWryCnrz0cX8p

Mohican 12-08-2016 06:17 PM

Dwight Yoakam covering one of my favorite Elvis Songs (suspicious minds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPMaTf0KU0M

Myers 12-08-2016 07:00 PM

:coffeescreen:
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianpatrick (Post 729577)
This video paints a whole backstory for me:

" hey... hey joey?"

"Whaaa?"

"You know what we should do?"

"What?"

"We should do a cover of that Coldplay song... you know the one. The one where he wants to fix some chick."

"Fix her? What the fuck are you talking about?"

"You know, you know, that one."

"Oh yeah—that one."

"We could get my little brother Vinnie to play drums—plays with his hands—friggin' awesome... but subtle... real subtle."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

https://youtu.be/5n19hMu4yW0?list=PL...EnWryCnrz0cX8p

Uh, oh no...

Mohican 12-09-2016 05:18 AM

Michael Stanley Band - Rosewood Bitters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSDbFe3VdOQ

Cover - by Joe Wash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vrAhLBtl9k

Mohican 12-09-2016 05:59 AM

When the cover is better than the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfgbExC1UV4

iDrew 12-19-2016 03:30 PM

love this vid too

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/vi...rb&age=0&&tt=b



xDrew

Dominic1977 01-05-2017 09:00 AM

My favorite cover of all time is Gary Jules cover of the old Tears for Fears song Mad World.

Mohican 01-23-2017 10:09 AM

My Old Friend The BLues - original by Steve Earl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdTvDQnCqrg

Cover by the Proclaimers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN71-Snq2Z0

pompears 02-27-2017 09:14 PM

This is my favorite cover song lately

It is overrated to say that it better than the original but yeah, it is.

Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC7oe6ciDzI

writingwriter 05-19-2017 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianpatrick (Post 729563)
Another case of it's hard to do a cover of an already great song, but this one is pretty good.

I actually enjoyed it! Sounds great.

Myers 05-21-2017 10:21 AM

Here's my cover of Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man."

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...kE0OThIWGs5bTQ

Grace Gabriel 05-21-2017 11:28 AM

That's had three loud plays Myers - bouncing off England's lush velvet hills as we speak...

Strong impulse to liberate the knockers and smoke something herbal...

brianpatrick 05-21-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myers (Post 732764)
Here's my cover of Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man."



https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...kE0OThIWGs5bTQ



Yeah, this is a really great cover. Love it!

Myers 05-21-2017 03:10 PM

Ha ha Grace -- yeah I think I got a little stoned just playing and singing this.

BP -- glad you dig it. I started out to do like a total copy of it -- because I love the production on the original. Then I realize I didn't have my acoustic guitar -- so it veered off from there.

It's not the most original or inventive cover -- but I had a lot of fun doing it.

Cheers, you guys.

fleamailman 05-22-2017 01:38 PM

("...not so much a cover but a translation done in ASL..." went the goblin who was learning a few words for himself now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaVg...pCmBs&index=17

Grace Gabriel 05-22-2017 01:47 PM

This is a favourite of mine Flea.

You also go me hooked on Jocelyn Pook -- I play 'Libera Me' most evenings - so haunting and beautiful.

fleamailman 05-23-2017 12:54 AM

("...yes I'm a jocelyn pook fan..." went the goblin still into asl at this point, saying "...I wonder what the deaf make of the als interpretation streams, but I'm very much appreciating them...")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjln9OMOw-0


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:01 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.