WritersBeat.com

WritersBeat.com (http://forums.writersbeat.com/index.php)
-   Previous Contests (http://forums.writersbeat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Summer Contest Aquamarine comment thread. (http://forums.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=53277)

Tau 06-30-2014 11:04 PM

Summer Contest Aquamarine comment thread.

This is thread is for all comments and question related to the Summer contest.

Michael D 07-04-2014 03:10 PM

So - can we makes noms for anyone? For anything? (other than poetry, which seems to have a stand-alone category).

M

Tau 07-04-2014 09:56 PM

Noms?

Ilseum 07-05-2014 01:22 AM

Nominations, I think.

All entries will be put into a poll once the contest is over, and members can vote for their favourite (or favourites, if there are a lot of entries) :)

Tau 07-05-2014 05:09 AM

Ah, I see. Though I am still la little confused by Michael D’s question.

In the prose category you can enter a written piece up to 2000 words long that is somehow connected to or inspired by the theme. The only limitation is that the material must be suitable for the open forum (so not anything that would otherwise be in the Adult content section).

The poetry category follows the same idea except that it is for Poetry and is limited to 24 lines instead of 2000 words.

FX Lord 07-07-2014 07:24 AM

Aquamarine? Who came up with that?

FX sighs.

Oh well, will do my best.

Tau 07-07-2014 07:34 AM

Me, unfortunately; I am sure you can rise to the challenge.

Nacia 07-09-2014 07:11 AM

hi Tau glad this is back.
much missed.
will see what we can come up with :D

Bagit 07-14-2014 12:53 PM

Contest!

I'd love to see many entries . . . just which two are going to strut around here for three months crowned WINNER! Now that, my friends, will leave a legacy!
:gnorsi:

Michael D 07-31-2014 12:49 PM

I sincerely hope that we will see more entries.

M

FX Lord 07-31-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael D (Post 669733)
I sincerely hope that we will see more entries.

M

No worries. There's at least mine to go (the moment I come up with one that is).

Michael D 08-01-2014 10:53 AM

C'mon FX... don't leave me hangin'.

FX Lord 08-08-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael D (Post 669929)
C'mon FX... don't leave me hangin'.

Hey man, I can't rush it.

Ideas gestate for weeks or months in my mind, when I eventually sit down to write them I tend to do it in one sitting. Almost all my work is first draft as the earlier drafts were worked out in my head.

I have a good idea, I think, so it shouldn't be long now.

From the looks of it, it could just be a case of you versus me - may the best man win :)

FX Lord 08-12-2014 12:43 AM

Finally, my entry is up.

I have never written a first person story before - I detest such a form generally - but felt this story needed it.

Hope you enjoy it, those who read it.

Now on that very subject, looking back at the voting thread of the last competition, I get the feeling that not very many people do read these. Last time we had six entries and six votes, implying that only those who participate actually read the stories and vote.

I did ask, if I recall, if I could spam the other threads with invitations but never received any response from a moderator, thus I didn't.

Such a thing needs advertising surely.

Tau 08-12-2014 04:14 AM

Thank you for entering.

Well I made a forum wide announcement a couple of days ago, so hopefully a few more people have seen the contest and are gearing up to post. You are right however, entries and participation has gone down over the last two years or so.

As I always read and vote then last time not even all who entered voted. Sadly.

By all means direct people to the contest, but spamming is not allowed. Rather if you see a situation where it is appropriate then do tell members. I often tell new members in introduction if their introduction indicates that they are looking for inspiration rather than just help with their current work.

Michael D 08-12-2014 06:22 AM

Nice work, FX. Fishy... but nice. ; )

M

FX Lord 08-15-2014 11:15 AM

I was pleasantly surprised by Gloria's piece. At 479 words and with only one line of dialogue, I presumed it was lacklustre to say the least.

Then I read it and felt quite touched, this work did manage - with an efficiency of words - to evoke emotion, which is the whole point of storytelling after all.

Of course, I must remember that 'The Hiding Place' was only 600-odd words - although my reason for that was it was told from a young child's point-of-view - so that does go to show that the number of words is irrelevant. It is what you capture in those words that matters.

Good job, Gloria.

Michael D 09-02-2014 11:10 AM

And the views are tied up!!!

Michael D 09-02-2014 06:04 PM

Surely (as well as Shirley) there are more entries waiting to be presented?

max crash 09-04-2014 09:36 AM

just posted, as usual the machine wadded it up, I asked tau permission to edit and put some spacing back in it- so please ignore he wall of words -a work order has been submitted.

Max

Michael D 09-16-2014 09:24 AM

It is a shame that there were so few entries, especially considering the sheer number of people that are part of the site, and the number of those that are equipped to make a contribution.
I will assume that there is more at play here than a mere lack of inspiration? Ah, well.

M

max crash 09-16-2014 10:07 AM

It does seem like a very small turn out, but I guess you can't tell who the real players are without a contest.

Max

Michael D 09-16-2014 10:10 AM

Well, I don't consider myself a "real player", Max... unless you're silly enough to be opposite of me on a paintball field. ;)

M

max crash 09-16-2014 10:42 AM

never tried paint ball, it sound like fun but...

although I don't move as well as I used to and I'm for sure a larger target.

I was trained as a sniper, back in the 70s. I would need a better scope these today. Do they have snipers in paintball?

I guess I'm a real player, I'll try anything, I religiously buy lottery tickets even though the odds of winning are non existent. I'll talk about my story in the contest after the voting.

why don't more people enter? Do they think they are to 'good a writer' or... what?

in my not so understated opinion, we should be supporting the community so it can grow, even if our stories are not so good.

that's just the way I see it.

Max

Tau 09-17-2014 06:46 AM

Voting thread is coming as soon as I have enough brainpower to think straight, or enough ibuprofen to override the headacheSilence the interstellar war in my skull.

Michael D 09-17-2014 08:52 AM

Take your time, Cookie Man. It's not as if this is going to be an event to remember. ;)

M

Michael D 09-20-2014 03:12 PM

"It's not a tuma!"

Ilseum 09-21-2014 03:19 AM

Quote:

Cookie Man
Hehe, I like that. I may just start calling Tau that from now on :D

Good luck to all those who entered!

Michael D 09-21-2014 08:06 AM

Is he alright? I sympathize with migraine sufferers.

Michael D 09-23-2014 10:56 AM

Tao - perhaps if you were giving away Top Gear studio tickets to voters? :p