WritersBeat.com

WritersBeat.com (http://forums.writersbeat.com/index.php)
-   Writing Markets (http://forums.writersbeat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Glitterwolf Magazine - seeking submissions for LGBT-showcasing magazine (http://forums.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=37013)

mcresswell 03-26-2012 04:04 AM

Glitterwolf Magazine - seeking submissions for LGBT-showcasing magazine

I'm the editor of Glitterwolf Magazine, a British small-press magazine launching in May. It showcases the best of LGBT-identifying contributors, anywhere in the world. We are currently looking for submissions, deadline for Issue One closing on 31st April. We are open to the following:

> Short Fiction (up to 2000 words)
> Poetry (up to 60 lines)
> Art or Photography (no sexually explicit, any style, any standard image format)

Submissions do not necessarily have to be LGBT related--the only requirement is that anyone submitting should identify as LGBT. Glitterwolf is about showcasing and promoting the eclecticism and talent of people, and not making a 'gay magazine for gay people'.

Submissions to: glitterwolfmagazine@gmail.com
or find out more at glitterwolfmagazine.tumblr.com or www.facebook.com/glitterwolfmagazine
Tumblr: @glitterwolfmag

Ethan Blake 03-26-2012 06:31 AM

Thats a bit heterophobic isn't it?
What do you imagine the outcry would be if I had a magazine that stated 'Only submissions from 'Straights'?

Can't have it both ways you know (no PUN intended.)
Best regards
D

mcresswell 03-26-2012 07:31 AM

There's a difference between segregation/discrimination and celebration. There is hardly a shortage of places where a heterosexual white male can find a platform for their work, and we're simply seeking to offer a showcase for people who might, like it or not, be unrepresented. The same criticism as yours isn't raised for magazines that showcase female writers (Mslexia, for example) or black writers (Mosaic) -- so why should our community be any different? I agree with equality, but I also understand that the differences between people is what makes them great: celebrating what sets a community apart is not the same as punishing another community for it's difference.

Ethan Blake 03-26-2012 03:44 PM

Yeah....right...!

Redlorry 03-27-2012 03:27 AM

I believe this is classed as 'positive discrimination'; there are several publishers listed on Duotrope who do this: only women, only disabled people, only children, only Americans and Canadians, only native Americans, on.

As a writer who considers herself of no specific demographic other than being from the UK it can actually be frustrating to see barriers like this where you have no control.

Surely it's better to cast your nets wide and say you take a particular interest in works by LGBT than to close off whole legions of potential writers. But anyhow, your call. :)

One thing... and perhaps I am naive to these things, but until I read Ethan's reponse I didn't know what LGBT stood for. I guess if you fall into the right categroy for submissions you'll get it. But don't be surprised if you get submission from people who are straight, who like me didn't know what it meant. It's always best to spell stuff out when advertising in an open market.

However good luck with you publication. I love the name, by the way. :)

Gaines 03-27-2012 03:56 AM

A blind guy walks into a Lesbian bar. After a few drinks he announces to the crowd asking if anyone would like to hear a blonde joke. Dead silence. He repeats himself and this really big blond butch walks up and taps him on the shoulder.

"What?" he asks.

"We know you are blind but you are in a Lesbian bar and the bartender is a blonde and I am a blonde and my girlfriend is a blonde," she replies.

"Never mind," he replies as he heads for the door. "I don't want to have to tell it three fucking times!"

AnyaKimlun 03-27-2012 07:42 AM

I'm straight with gay characters that are not in a romance or LGBTQetc novel. The book isn't finished yet but they have already experienced discrimmination in the publishing world because the characters are gay.

luckyme 03-27-2012 11:41 AM

Hahaha. Good to know I am not the only one who had to look up the LGBT to know what it stands for!

I thought it was some kind of werewolf magazine. Glam and all. Like the title but it misled me and maybe even others like me who know nothing of those abbreviations.