WritersBeat.com

WritersBeat.com (http://forums.writersbeat.com/index.php)
-   The Intellectual Table (http://forums.writersbeat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   One world government (http://forums.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=61295)

PickleBottom 03-13-2017 04:28 PM

One world government

Recently, every couple of months or so, Professor Stephen Hawking tells us the world is going to die, due to one reason or another. Recently Stephen Hawking suggested the world should be ruled by one government.

What follows is my understanding of government;

1) A Democratic government - A government that pretends that it represents the people but are only concerned with stuffing their pockets with cash
2) A Communist government - A government that pretends that all people should be equal but are only concerned with stuffing their pockets with cash
3) Dictatorship - A government that pretends that the state is more important than all individuals but are only concerned with stuffing their pockets with cash
4) Monarchy - A "government" that pretends that years of inbreeding gives a certain few individuals the power to direct other people's lives, but are only concerned with stuffing their pockets with cash
5) Religious - A "government" that pretends that a divine being exists and speaks only through a few certain people, but are only concerned with stuffing their pockets with cash
6) Aristocracy - A "government" that stuffs it pockets with cash and therefore should be able to rule people, so they can stuff their pockets with more cash

There are of course other forms of government, but the salient point, IMO, is all government exists to stuff their own pockets with cash. Therefore, extrapolating upwards, this is what I would presume would also happen under a one world government.

Today's question, How do you envision a one world government? What would be some of the salient aspects of this government? Good idea? Bad idea? Is Stephen Hawking slowly being taken over by AI?

brianpatrick 03-13-2017 05:06 PM

A world government would pretend to care about everyone in the world, the poor, the rich, the producers, the useless, and then proceed to stuff it's pockets with cash.

brianpatrick 03-13-2017 05:20 PM

I think it could work for a while if we killed off about 90% of the worlds population. (Doh!... did I say that?)

PickleBottom 03-13-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianpatrick (Post 731179)
I think it could work for a while if we killed off about 90% of the worlds population. (Doh!... did I say that?)

Unfortunately my prediction is the 90% will still exist until there are less than 10 people in the world (and can only count whole people)

PickleBottom 03-13-2017 09:31 PM

According to the Seasteading Institute "floating cities will allow the next generation of pioneers to peacefully test new ideas for government" (https://www.seasteading.org/about/vision-strategy/)

But I believe the investors investing in Seasteading should invest in modelling. It would not be too hard to model government structures. They're going to waste their money to find out something we already know...

moonpunter 03-14-2017 12:42 PM

Benevolent tyrant is the most effective and best government.

Nick Pierce 03-14-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonpunter (Post 731187)
Benevolent tyrant is the most effective and best government.

Like Duterte?

moonpunter 03-14-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce (Post 731189)
Like Duterte?

I think you missed the benevolent part.

Nick Pierce 03-14-2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonpunter (Post 731190)
I think you missed the benevolent part.

Aren't his actions benevolent towards the common Filipino?
He does have an 83% approval rating.

Perhaps you are thinking of some other existing country leader.
If so, whom?

Nick Pierce 03-14-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce (Post 731191)
Aren't his actions benevolent towards the common Filipino?
He does have an 83% approval rating.

Perhaps you are thinking of some other existing country leader.
If so, whom?

Hmm, who could that be?
We can rule out
Putin
Kim Jong-un
right off.

Nick Pierce 03-14-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce (Post 731192)
Hmm, who could that be?
We can rule out
Putin
Kim Jong-un
right off.

Lessee- who is runnin' that place Procol Harum is hanging out in?
Lemmee go check via google.

Here it is
Muhammadu Buhari

He certainly qualifies as a tyrant yet he provides shelter for a 70's lite rock band.

That shows benevolence.

Nick Pierce 03-14-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce (Post 731193)
Lessee- who is runnin' that place Procol Harem is hanging out in?
Lemmee go check via google.

Here it is
Muhammadu Buhari

He certainly qualifies as a tyrant yet he provides shelter for a 70's lite rock band.

That shows benevolence.

Nick?

Yes, Pierce?

M. Buhari is the present leader of Nigeria.

Yeah, old P. that's the guy I'm talking about.

Nick?

Yes?

Perhaps you have misheard Procol Harum when it was actually Boko Haram that was being said.

Huh?
Lemme check the 'net.

Holy flappin' flip flops, Pierce!
That ain't no music makin' group!

You know, I was kinda wonderin' what a bunch of Brits were doin' holed up so far from home.

Well, I guess it is easy to see how I confused the names.

Or, as I hear they say over there, "Sorry".

brianpatrick 03-14-2017 03:35 PM

I think there have been kings and dictators, extremely rare individuals throughout history, who've managed to pull of a benevolent dictatorship. But the question becomes: what happens when they die? Who can succeed such an individual?

A system of government can't be based on an individual.

brianpatrick 03-14-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce (Post 731192)
Hmm, who could that be?

We can rule out

Putin

Kim Jong-un

right off.

What about that dude in Singapore?

Nick Pierce 03-14-2017 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=brianpatrick

[/QUOTE]

Yet two religions are immediately accessible for examination that are each based on an individual.

And both offer governing principles.

Nick Pierce 03-14-2017 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianpatrick (Post 731196)
What about that dude in Singapore?

Dude got a name?

Nick Pierce 03-14-2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianpatrick (Post 731195)
I think there have been kings and dictators, extremely rare individuals throughout history, who've managed to pull of a benevolent dictatorship.

Do you "think" of any names?

brianpatrick 03-14-2017 04:22 PM

Marcus Aurelius

brianpatrick 03-14-2017 04:23 PM

Charlemagne

brianpatrick 03-14-2017 04:25 PM

One world government

Lee Kuan Yew

Josip Broz Tito

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

Nick Pierce 03-14-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianpatrick (Post 731200)
Marcus Aurelius

Wikipedia says the major sources for the life and rule of Marcus Aurelius are patchy and frequently unreliable.

Your source?

brianpatrick 03-14-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce (Post 731205)
Wikipedia says the major sources for the life and rule of Marcus Aurelius are patchy and frequently unreliable.

Your source?

I'm a fucking God!

...does that work?

brianpatrick 03-14-2017 04:36 PM

Besides, have you read his meditations?

Nick Pierce 03-14-2017 04:36 PM

Who is governing today as a benevolent tyrant?

Who is closest to the term?

Even though we are seeing current events through the news veil we have a greater chance of closest to the truth in the present than we do using historical (his story) accounts.

And there are possibilities that we could experience a today alive B.T. or, failing that, meet others who have.

moonpunter 03-14-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianpatrick (Post 731195)
I think there have been kings and dictators, extremely rare individuals throughout history, who've managed to pull of a benevolent dictatorship. But the question becomes: what happens when they die? Who can succeed such an individual?

Exactly. The most successful example of the benevolent tyrant though is monotheism.

Nick Pierce 03-14-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianpatrick (Post 731206)
I'm a fucking God!

...does that work?

I recall that Rome was full of gods.

One guy even said his horse was one.

brianpatrick 03-14-2017 04:38 PM

I guess he could have just wrote that stuff down while killing and raping his way through Europe.

PickleBottom 03-14-2017 04:39 PM

A disadvantage of a Benevolent Tyrant is they can only be assessed in hindsight.

But I agree, I feel that an algorithm would make a much more effective leader than most people. For example, if all "products" were priced relative to median income (within a geopolitical entity), this should decrease the cost of currently over-priced products, like houses. It would also not be worth anyone's time to spend too much money on property as this would no longer be an investment item.

Electronic money is mostly here in the Western world, money should not be hard to track, who is getting paid what etc. If a boss of a large commercial product decided not to pay their staff wages they will be leading to the reduction of the median income and therefore lowering the cost of their product. Thus, have no incentive.