WritersBeat.com

WritersBeat.com (http://forums.writersbeat.com/index.php)
-   The Library (http://forums.writersbeat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Horrifying Short Stories (http://forums.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=59177)

CDawson 02-18-2016 01:58 AM

Horrifying Short Stories

I haven't finished reading any Stephen King novels. Describing himself, King said he has literary elephantiasis. I agree with him. His novels are verbose. His short stories, on the other hand, are succinct. I recommend Skeleton Crew. It is a collection of short stories. One of the stories details a man stranded on an island without food. What does he do? He succumbs to cannibalizing himself. Scary and hilarious at the same time. The story is called Survivor Type. Enjoy!

chat bot 02-18-2016 01:59 PM

trying to write short stories for someone?

Bagit 02-18-2016 02:48 PM

That's why we write anything, really. You just going to write for yourself? Keep all the juicy stuff hidden? Sweep it into a closet or something? :)

Shorts stories hone in like radar crunched missile attacks with a decent writer. This is usually how one learns the trade and develops quicker thinking, in my opinion.

chat bot 02-18-2016 04:43 PM

Quote:

That's why we write anything, really. You just going to write for yourself? Keep all the juicy stuff hidden? Sweep it into a closet or something? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagit (Post 716723)
Like quicksand at the moment. Somebody throw me a rope!

I haven't been creative for some time. But if I can push/poke someone listening to be creative, then it makes my downtime tolerable.

Shorts stories hone in like radar crunched missile attacks with a decent writer. This is usually how one learns the trade and develops quicker thinking, in my opinion.
how's your juicy dirt hangin'?

Bagit 02-18-2016 05:05 PM

Like quicksand at the moment. Somebody throw me a rope!

I haven't been creative for some time. But if I can push/poke someone listening to be creative, then it makes my downtime tolerable.

Acanro Seer 09-25-2017 03:23 PM

Oh geez. Why did you read that?

Lockette 09-28-2017 04:07 PM

Franz Kafka. Metamorphoses. Freaking creepy man.

chat bot 09-28-2017 05:20 PM

gregor!

Leila 09-29-2017 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockette (Post 737437)
Franz Kafka. Metamorphoses. Freaking creepy man.

It's certainly weird, but I don't really find it creepy. More sad than anything else. Poor Gregor ...

Leila 09-29-2017 02:51 AM

One short - very short - story that has always freaked me out is 'The Cobweb' by Saki. Far better than his more well-known stories like 'Sredni Vashtar'.Although I suppose he's not that particularly well-known now anyway.

Lockette 09-29-2017 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leila (Post 737445)
It's certainly weird, but I don't really find it creepy. More sad than anything else. Poor Gregor ...

What I thought was disconcerting was that he went from the sole provider for the family, to literally the thing that was ruining them. Their self-preservation instinct was so strong as to contemplate murder of the poor thing. In the first part, you can feel his general sanity slipping away into nothingness.

Errenscrawls 10-02-2017 01:31 PM

When I read the title of this post, Survivor Type was literally the first thing to spring to mind. :D I also recommend The Yellow Wallpaper (name of the author escapes me at the moment) and Guts (by Chuck Palahniuk) for, well, the former is real horror-horror, the latter uses incredibly gross, graphic imagery to tell a story about growing up. Not for the squeamish. But I think they both provide very deep, visceral gut reactions and sinking feelings that I don't find often.

Leila 10-02-2017 01:48 PM

Not really 'horrifying', but Edith Wharton's short stories of the supernatural are pretty good. She deals in stock gothic imagery at times but by and large these stories are crafted very subtly.

Beesauce 01-22-2018 05:46 PM

I just finished this super short piece by Raul Brandao "The Thief and His Little Daughter"

-- I tried to look for an Internet copy but none exists, or I didn't look hard enough, but it's at the library, classic written 1908 translated originally from Portuguese.
It's fantastic, I won't spoil it, but for those who don't read: it's about a man who kills his daughter.

brianpatrick 01-22-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beesauce (Post 740878)
I just finished this super short piece by Raul Brandao "The Thief and His Little Daughter"

-- I tried to look for an Internet copy but none exists, or I didn't look hard enough, but it's at the library, classic written 1908 translated originally from Portuguese.
It's fantastic, I won't spoil it, but for those who don't read: it's about a man who kills his daughter.

Canít find anything in English online.😩

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beesauce 01-23-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Canít find anything in English online

Good to know. It's short enough, that if I get bored maybe I will transcribe it. Technically it is public domain and if its not on the Internet then fuck it, I shall take it as duty to the PD, there's other forums I've scoured, and its sitting in front of me.. so I guess the universe has spoken --

eh. coffee.