WritersBeat.com

WritersBeat.com (http://forums.writersbeat.com/index.php)
-   Previous Contests (http://forums.writersbeat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Spring/Summer Contest Comment Thread (http://forums.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=36245)

Tau 02-14-2012 12:43 AM

Spring/Summer Contest Comment Thread

All comments in relation to the spring contest should go here.

Bluebell 02-16-2012 10:09 AM

I have a question... Are we allowed to ask for critiques on our rough pieces before posting them to the contest thread somewhere else on the board? Or is it supposed to be posted fresh to the board in the contest thread?

Lost Traveler 02-16-2012 04:45 PM

I always understood that each piece was supposed to be fresh to the board, unseen.

Bluebell 02-17-2012 04:41 AM

Thanks...that's what I was figuring, I just couldn't find any rules concerning it among the messages, thought I was ask.

Tau 02-17-2012 05:27 AM

There is no specific rule on the matter, as technically one can ask for feedback for contest entries on WB before submitting them. The reason for this is that it is allowed for people to submit work that fits the theme of the contest even if it is older than the contest, and that they may have posted on WB at some point.

However as Lost Traveller has said there has been an understanding not to seek critique for an entry on WB before submitting. You are free to seek critiques after submitting/the contents closing, this is fine due to the no editing rule on submitted work.

So you can ask for critique for the rough draft on WB before Submitting, but it might not be well received by some members when they vote. It is your choice.

May I insted suggest you seek the advice of some friendsto help you with your rough draft.

luckyme 03-02-2012 07:07 AM

Can there be adult content in the entry? Can I get a little hot and steamy?

Bluebell 03-02-2012 09:00 AM

Yes, I was wondering about that and words that some people don't like... Do we have to censor since it's public?

Firefly 03-02-2012 09:23 AM

A story with cursing and small amount of sexuality/violence, etc., is fine. If it's something that is more "adult-only," giving a disclaimer and hiding the story under spoiler tags would be the best option. Most of the forums here are public, except for Members Only and the Adult forum, so just use your own discretion, and chances are it'll be fine :)

Tau 03-02-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyme (Post 482379)
Can there be adult content in the entry? Can I get a little hot and steamy?

You can submit entries that contain some Adult Content material, with a disclaimer, and I may ask you to withdraw the entry if I think it is too much.

luckyme 03-02-2012 01:20 PM

To prevent my entry from being rejected, I have started over, deleting all the adult parts.
Thanks for letting me know, and preventing me from entering with unsuitable material.

Bluebell 03-03-2012 06:00 AM

Okay, thanks. I just have a few cuss words in mine...and possibly a little gore...

glyndwr99 03-07-2012 07:48 AM

I have to say this was fun! It has been a while since I have written fresh and new poetry, and so it gave me the chance to dig out the pen and paper and create something fun.

Bluebell 03-23-2012 02:26 PM

So wait...does that mean I have until June to finish my story? Umm, cause I was rushing to finish it up.

luckyme 03-23-2012 02:27 PM

Yeah you do, so unfair! Lol
But now you can take your time and I wish I had waited before posting mine.

Tau 03-24-2012 12:58 AM

Well the extensihon was not intended, and is the result of the delay ofthe WBQ, but yes, there is now extra time for thoes that have not entered and would like to do so.

luckyme 03-24-2012 03:37 AM

It'll teach me to post early. Next time I am going to wait and wait and then wait some more until there is hardly any time left and then I'll post.
Hahhahaha, besides there were an awful little amount of entries in the prose section to choose from, so the extension is for the best I guess.

Tau 03-25-2012 02:09 AM

If you wait to long then you'll miss the deadline though.

luckyme 03-25-2012 02:36 AM

Hhaha, True. I'll just post when I'm done.

thisangel 03-31-2012 09:08 AM

Ack! I posted mine up (a poem) and the spaces came out all wonky! :( I don't want to edit it, as I don't want to be disqualified, but there should only be one space between the stanzas & now there's huge big gaps. Grrrr argh stupid computer!

Sorry about that! :)

luckyme 03-31-2012 09:13 AM

You could ask a staff to correct it for you. They might be inclined to, it's not that big a change.

Tau 03-31-2012 10:13 AM

Thisangel, I will corret it for you.

Edit: That better, if I tried to get the formating right but in places it was hard to tell, let me know if it still is not right.

luckyme 03-31-2012 10:54 AM

You see Thisangel, sometimes you don't even need to formally ask.

thisangel 04-02-2012 07:57 AM

Thanks Tau, that's perfect! :D

Bluebell 04-05-2012 07:15 AM

I'm actually very happy there was an extension and I hadn't posted yet. While I was satisfied with what I had by deadline...I had realized I could cut stuff and find more wordage to rewrite the ending for a totally different type of story. Now I can do that, plus test read my story with a few friends to see which they like better. One ending is happy, one is dark, horror style. Two totally different feelings for the story.

norvbrooks 05-21-2012 06:53 AM

Word Vault Contest - That Man

Gloryia - interesting storyline. The following sentence could be taken two ways:
Quote:

How often have I had to place my hands over his and slowly evince the correct method?
As a question as you have indicated by the use of a question mark. Or, it could be taken as a emphatic statement. I wonder which would fit your story better.

Nice work.

norvbrooks 05-21-2012 07:11 AM

Word Vault Contest - R.J. schus

The story was interesting and mystical. I found the following to be a little strange use of the word "formulate".
Quote:

"...taking short pauses to formulate her way through..."
Although the dictionary definition I found would indicate that your usage could be valid, I personally would have preferred maybe "plan" or "determine".
Nice work.

norvbrooks 05-25-2012 06:41 AM

Comment - The Deserted Road - Reparation

Interesting writing style. It held my attention through to the end which I somewhat anticipated. A bit of a downer, but well done.

norvbrooks 05-25-2012 07:13 AM

Comment - Agatha Cristie's "The Deserted Road"

The story flowed along nicely with a somewhat expected ending and yet with an unexpected twist. There was one aspect that did bother me with the following:
Quote:

'What time was that?' asked Jan.

Roberta looked at her watch.

'Must have been about quarter to eight.'

The colour drained from Jan's face.
The timing element is what gives Jan the supernatural link between the movie and the actual fire. However, the previous mentions of time -the movie started at seven and Caroline had to get home because it was eight-thirty - gives the reader a rather broad time period of an hour and a half. What if when Jan pulls her hand back from Caroline's arm the glowing watch face of her wrist-watch shows it's seven-forty-five?

I like the story. Well done!

norvbrooks 06-01-2012 06:26 AM

The Deserted Road - Purpose

Aurilia - I like this! In a few words you conveyed a complete story and it's a nostalgic and interesting story. You nicely left enough unsaid for us to fill in with our own imagination. Well done!

Aurilia 06-01-2012 08:50 AM

Thankee kindly. All I could 'see', so-to-speak, when I saw the prompt/theme were the stretches of roads that people don't/can't use anymore for whatever reason. There's a stretch of old highway near my grandparent's place in Wyoming that was abandoned when I-80 was put in, and Hwy 5 in Iowa was re-routed between Pella and Knoxville when Red Rock Dam was put in. And I've seen other examples from Maine to Washington of roads that were obviously once well-traveled but had fallen by the wayside. It always makes me feel a little sorry for them.