WritersBeat.com

WritersBeat.com (http://forums.writersbeat.com/index.php)
-   Writers' Cafe (http://forums.writersbeat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What scene could you never write? (http://forums.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=55370)

daes13 12-11-2014 06:31 AM

What scene could you never write?

Of everything I have written there are two scenes I could never write in description. First and foremost is the death scene of a dog. I can write about the aftermath but never actually describe it. I have to much respect for dogs. The second is a female rape scene. I can insinuate or cut off right before, but never describe it. It disturbs me way too much.

JoeMatt 12-11-2014 06:43 AM

How about the death scene of a really annoying dog that barks all the time for no reason and constantly pees on the rug? I could probably write that.

daes13 12-11-2014 06:48 AM

No- but I could write the scene where he gets trained properly. I just can't write a death scene for a dog they don't deserve it. Now a rabid dog attacking yes, but that's a different variable. And I do mean "rabid" not simply a dog defending its territory.

Nacia 12-11-2014 07:14 AM

killing scenes/murder/suicide/abuse/psychopathy
that is not for me and I will never go there.
and I am so glad I could not it makes my life so much easier.

JoeMatt 12-11-2014 07:17 AM

What if it was Hitler's dog?

daes13 12-11-2014 07:21 AM

Doesn't matter whose dog it is. Dogs can be trained to change- humans cannot. I would not even kill Franklin D. Roosevelt's dog either.

JoeMatt 12-11-2014 07:33 AM

Okay then.

I probably wouldn't write a scene with someone having a rectal exam. That would just be gross.

daes13 12-11-2014 07:34 AM

What if it was Hitler's rectum?

JoeMatt 12-11-2014 07:42 AM

Doesn't matter whose rectum it is. Not even if it was Franklin D. Roosevelt's rectum.

In all seriousness, I'd have the doctor put on his rubber gloves and then "fade to black." You need to have faith in your reader.

daes13 12-11-2014 07:45 AM

That's how I am with female rape scenes. I have done male rape scenes and it doesn't bother me. Then again I did just write a scene where a girl gets sodomized with a knife... So maybe just the dog then.

JoeMatt 12-11-2014 07:48 AM

Someone always goes too far. I'm just glad it's not me this time.

Nacia 12-11-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMatt (Post 681712)
What if it was Hitler's dog?

a dog?
that is an animal it is not responsible.

brianpatrick 12-11-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMatt (Post 681716)
Okay then.

I probably wouldn't write a scene with someone having a rectal exam. That would just be gross.

Actually I have a short centered around just that Joe... I will dig it up and maybe post it. It's funny.

Zelbacon 12-11-2014 01:23 PM

I'm not opposed to writing things. I think it is why I have lost a part of my mind and can't find it. Now having people read my twisted thoughts is what gets to me. Though I don't think I can write a dog being killed, I have never tried.

Mike C 12-12-2014 01:28 AM

What about if Hitler's dog raped a woman?

I can't think of any real boundaries. I have written about paedophiles, but I would never write a descriptive passage about a child being abused - I cannot imagine that could ever be anything other than gratuitous. So I guess that's my limit.

But I could quite happily write a scene involving puppies and hammers. It's just words. No animals were actually harmed in the writing of this post.

SuperGurl 12-12-2014 04:11 PM

It may just be words, but descriptive violence and dark scenes get to me. You don't have to write them. There is a lot of dark stuff in the Brother's Karamozov, but you never have to read it in detail. It's hinted at so that you understand what's happening but aren't forced to linger on filth.

Bottom line, I cannot write descriptive violence/sex. I don't like to read it either. Just my opinion, of course, and I couldn't kill a dog off period. :-)

charleswhaley 12-13-2014 05:27 AM

I'm borderline insane. Wouldn't have a problem writing anything. After all, it's just fiction. You can't worry what other people will think; it's the writer's job sometimes to make people uncomfortable.

Zelbacon 12-13-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charleswhaley (Post 681907)
I'm borderline insane. Wouldn't have a problem writing anything. After all, it's just fiction. You can't worry what other people will think; it's the writer's job sometimes to make people uncomfortable.

That's it exactly. My story may not be for every one, but it's the way that it should be

charleswhaley 12-13-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelbacon (Post 681916)
That's it exactly. My story may not be for every one, but it's the way that it should be

Which is how it should be. There will always be those who are fans, and those who aren't. The ability to write things that will make others uncomfortable is part of the joy of being a wordsmith.

Salix 12-14-2014 09:09 PM

I can't write a make-out scene between two drunk people in a bar in the middle of the night. I know it's oddly descriptive, but I just can't. Sometimes I try, but it always seems like they're too drunk. But there haven't been very many times when this problem came up.

Alligrace797 12-15-2014 09:30 AM

Incest and suicide. Now I could write someone contemplating suicide but not actually going through with it.

As for incest, well that's just nasty. I mean really nasty and disgusting and just wrong and blech.

Whiskers 12-15-2014 09:58 AM

There's one limit don't touch in BDSM, but... hmmm... in general, I don't have issues with physical, sexual, or psychological abuse content. I like both graphic and fade to black; both can impact on readers really visciously, for different reasons.

Cabin_Marine 12-23-2014 10:45 AM

i write nothing but military fiction , ironically i am physically incapable of being comfortable with combat scenes , it bears over from the calm i think but could just be incompetence , guess i'd never know.

LaurenKing 01-01-2015 10:16 AM

I don't think I could ever write a sex scene. Not because I'm disgusted by sex or anything, in fact I mention that two main characters had sex and that's why they have a kid now, but because of two main reasons:
1) I actually have no idea how sex is meant to go
2) It kinda seems like it's violating the character's right to privacy (probably sounds crazy to some, talking about them as if they were real people)

SailorMystery15 01-03-2015 07:43 AM

What scene could you never write?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurenKing (Post 683396)
I don't think I could ever write a sex scene. Not because I'm disgusted by sex or anything, in fact I mention that two main characters had sex and that's why they have a kid now, but because of two main reasons:
2) It kinda seems like it's violating the character's right to privacy (probably sounds crazy to some, talking about them as if they were real people)

Same here.

Victor Anderson 01-03-2015 04:44 PM

The only scene I can recall having... mental anguish while writing, was a suicide scene in the first version of a poem series I'm writing called Gradus Vita. It was meant to be a short story, so the details where more... present. I've written dogs slowly dying, a main character being crucified, torture, but that scene in particular was so hard to do. That's my 2 cents, on all their non existent value.

Littleink 01-11-2015 07:20 PM

I was never able to write,a rape scene or a murder scene.They are just to disturbing.

jimmymc 01-12-2015 05:56 AM

IMO-There's enough vile sickness in the world without me adding to it. I'm strictly PG-13 and that only amounts to an expletive now and then.

SolaInk 01-12-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmymc (Post 684207)
IMO-There's enough vile sickness in the world without me adding to it. I'm strictly PG-13 and that only amounts to an expletive now and then.

Agreed.

Mike C 01-12-2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurenKing (Post 683396)

You should definitely get out of the house more.