WritersBeat.com

WritersBeat.com (http://forums.writersbeat.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Advice (http://forums.writersbeat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Online Writing Resources (http://forums.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=24223)

FK7 04-24-2010 03:15 PM

Online Writing Resources

When I procrastinate on my writing, I read about writing (and other stuff, too)!

Since I made the official decision to write a novel about seven months ago, I bought a LOT of books on the subject, and read a lot on the web.

I thought it'd be nice if we all pulled in together and share our favorite blogs or books with our comments on them and build a common repository of knowledge! I know some of them, if not most, will be known by most, but I seem to discover new blogs or books about the topic of writing every day, so you never know!

I'll start! And don't hesitate to comment on them!

Blogs
Rachelle Gardner (Very sweet, knowledgeable).
Nathan Bransford (He likes the color orange)
The Rejectionist (Likes LOTR and cats. Hates Twilight.)
Pub Rant (Kristin Nelson, tremendous blog with a lot of resources about the magical art of query writing)
BookEnds LLC (daily entries that usually answer reader's questions)
Et in arcaedia, ego. (Jennifer Jackson)
The INTERN (cute and funny writing, she's young and has a fresh perspective)
Miss Snark (retired but LOT'S OF FUNNY STUFF THAT WOULD MAKE THE UNIVERSE JEALOUS OF OUR FUNNY PEOPLES. A LOT of good posts and resources about NOT what to do.)
Janet Reid (more or less helpful these days, but good old posts to laugh about. She got a temper.)
Query Shark (Janet Reid's second blog, super SUPER helpful)
QueryTracker (Imho I find them a bit snobby, but they have good information and QueryTracker is good if you're disorganized or don't know how Excel works)
Editorial Ass (editor with attitude, good info and funny at times)
Editorial Anonymous (Good info)

Books
These are the books I bought and read.

Strunk & White (the little bible, needs no introduction)
On Writing (King's memoir, mesmerizing read. He doesn't like plot though...)
Stein on Writing (a bit old-fashioned and had a hard time finishing it, but there is no doubt he knows what he's talking about)
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers (totally awesome, a must read)
The Writer's Journey (currently reading, dense but very good advice)
Writing the Breakout Novel (very good for commercial fiction writers, I liked it a lot. Donald Maass also has his own agency and I think he is pretty well known in publishing)
Story (extremely technical review on the technique of crafting plot and story. For screenwriters primarily, but applies to novel writing too. Apparently the guy's a legend.)
The First Five Pages (very helpful for perfecting those first pages you usually send with a query. Noah Lukeman also has his own agency and a blog)
The Key (Not good. I made the mistake of buying his two How to Write A Good Damn Novel Part I and II, they also stink. Very disappointed, general and unhelpful advice. Save your monies)

Forums & websites
Predators and Editors (free extended repertory of literary agents. Allows you to know who to avoid, who is recommended, and who is highly recommended.)
AgentQuery(good database, also advice on how to format query, how to send in a manuscript, etc.)
World-Building Tools for Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers
PoeWar (For anyone interested in writing as a career, primary or side)
Scribd (A social writer's site with an interesting premise)
Writer's Character Chart (An interesting thing for the detail-mad among us)
I'd also like to add that I AM VERY MAD AT THE 24 WRITERS FOR KILLING *YOU*KNOW*WHO IT WAS LAZY WRITING, WRITERS! I'd also like to mention Robin William's rendition of how Golf was invented is the FUNNIEST THING EVER, and some more of his humor in our writing would contribute to making bestsellers. I will abstain on commenting on Lost because I think J.J. Abrams rocks and I loved Fringe and Star Trek, BUT I BETTER HAVE CLOSURE SIR!

Saged 04-24-2010 05:09 PM

Ah, these are sweet. Thanks. I'm always in need of more information on writing. :)

Winterbite 04-24-2010 06:50 PM

Lovely idea! You've obviously worked hard on this. I'll add a bunch of my own when I've got the time. In the meantime, I'll sticky it.

rosiewriter 08-18-2010 07:46 PM

Everything I Know About Writing by John Marsden (an amazing Australian author) was invaluable to me when I was a teenager and trying to come to grips with writing a novel. Still relevant now that I'm an adult too.

Kasubi 10-13-2010 12:30 AM

Not sure whether you have them in other countries, but in the UK The Writers' & Artists' Yearbook is an excellent resource with all major publishers and agents listed, plus specific chapters on each style and genre, such as Newspapers, Magazines, Historical Fiction, Scripts, Non-Fiction, Crime...etc. etc. with tips, advice and articles by professional, and usually famous, writers.

Kasubi 10-16-2010 07:25 AM

Oh, I'd also like to mention FirstWriter, it's an online resource of Publishers, Agents and a huge number of writing competitions. There's a nominal annual subscription fee but it's worth it. I found my publisher through them and because of that they've offered me an interview in their monthly e-magazine to help promote the book.

Scriberos 10-18-2010 04:24 AM

common expressions and phrases

Nice tips!
As a writer using a language other than my native one, I often find it difficult to be sure how common expressions and phrases are usually written. E.g. I may be unsure of a prepositions, or whether this or that word is correct in a particular setting. I found a nifty tool to help me determining this, and thought I should share it with you guys: howitswritten.com. I believe it searches the net to find exact matches to your suggested phrases, and determines which is more often used. I found it very helpful when I had trouble with some phrases.
Regards,
J.A

jruthwiebe 11-12-2010 05:13 PM

I'd add Page99Test.com, where you can post the 99th page of your published - or unpublished - book, and get quick, pointed feedback from the community. (Plus read a bunch of great excerpts from genres you love.) It's new, but it's a fun little site...

Dafeenah 04-03-2011 08:32 PM

This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks so much!!

tjwell01 06-27-2011 12:04 PM

Fresh Teen Lit Writing Community

If you're an aspiring teen writer or are really into YA fiction, I strongly recommend checking out InkPop.com. It's ran by Harper Collins and the user base is super interactive, but the best part is real HPC editors are reviewing your work which means your scribbles could get published if its good enough. It's fiction, non-fiction and poetry--everything goes and the features are slick.

I work for the site, full confession, so if you have questions, hit me up.

emmamcc1989 12-29-2011 01:35 PM

Thanks for all the links. I actually had no idea where to get started resource-wise, and this is a really comprehesive list!! I shall begin working my way through it in the morning!

tony_a20 01-14-2012 08:58 AM

Writer's Notes & eBook Tutorials

EBook authors might like to have a look at the writer's notes and tutorials on hand-building ebooks available on www.katiebooks.ca

Everything's available as free downloads.

Tony

native3 02-20-2012 10:41 AM

Also http://www.thecreativepenn.com/ from Joanna Penn.

The Blog has a great deal about writing and published author's pod-cast's and publishing information.

Verkisto 07-24-2012 09:43 PM

Wow, thank you for making this! It's nearly 2 in the morning here, and I should probably be heading off to sleep, but I definitely have to check this out in the morning, this definitely looks useful :)

Amanda786 12-03-2012 05:33 AM

Well, I think that's amazing and pretty informative. It's always auseful to join such coversations. Thanks!

Cereals 03-12-2013 05:12 AM

Timothy Hallinan for information on development and process. If no one mentioned him yet.

mlcampbell 07-10-2013 06:10 AM

I read Strunk and White a couple years ago, and I return to it often. It really is a little Bible for writers.

ShadowsofDakaro 08-06-2013 11:27 AM

Amazing resources. I haven't even heard of many of these blogs, but I will be subscribing immediately. Thank you for this list...I will be buying a couple of these books with my next paycheck.

firouz_alam 09-16-2013 04:22 AM

Huge resource, Thanks FK7. The first thing I do after leaving this comment is check the blog urls that you provided. I'm sure the urls you mentioned are worthy and helpful.

Well, I'm a Blogger and my Weblog name is 'Manuscriptedit Blog', Just check it out friends.

Jakeg 11-17-2013 01:46 PM

awesome info thank you for sharing

Salvador 01-13-2015 04:05 AM

Online writing resource is very easy you search any thing provide different sources like Blogs Forums etc.

MrFarr 03-22-2016 03:10 AM

Great list here

MrFarr 03-22-2016 03:12 AM

Let me add William Zinsser's book - On Writing Well

chazmeloncaugh 04-15-2016 12:04 PM

i'd add one new resource i found this week: SimplyProse (beta.simplyprose.com). they're in beta, but it seems to have an interesting concept.

Adam Ant 08-27-2016 12:18 AM

Wow, someone has been busy. Thanks a bunch for these resources!